Power Transmition System Problem

In summary, the power required to overcome the rolling resistance and drag at a constant speed will balance out at 190bhp.
shoaibshabba
Hi Guys and Girls

I have a tutorial question that requires me to calculate the efficiency of the power transmittion system in coverting engine power to vehicle motion.

I have the rolling resistance at a specific speed and the required information to calculate the power required to overcome the drag.

I thouught to calculate the power require to overcome the rolling resistance and the drag but i am not sure where to go from here!

Any help would be great!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You quite rightly state that the power required will balance the rolling resistance and the drag, at a constant speed. Power is force times velocity.

Do you know how to calculate the drag? If so where are you getting stuck?

Well the rolling resistance at 140mph is 200N and this results in an additional power required of 16.78hp.

The power required against the drag of the car at 140mph is 159.57hp.

The maximum power of the car is 190bhp at 7800rpm.

So how do i calculate the efficiency of the power transmittion system?

Either you're missing information, or you've not copied your question fully.

Does it say the maximum power of the car is 190bhp or the engine?

The exact question is -

A new sports car has the following published specifications and performance when fitted with a 1.8 litre, 16 valve, double overhead cam, turbocharged engine.

Maximum Power: 190bhp at 7800rpm
Maximum Speed: 140mph (level road,sea air)
Mass: 1200kg
Chassis Dimensions: 1.7 x 1.4 x 4.2 (widthxheightxlength)
Coefficient of drag for the vehicle is 0.34
Sea air density is 1.2 kg/m*3

If the rolling resistance of the vehicle at 140mph is 200N, estimate the efficiency of the power transmition system in converting engine power to vehicle motion.

Hi guys, i have a very similar problem to the one described here, could anyone provide insight into how to complete this?

Is there a need to take into account a gain in potential and kinetic energy of the car for efficiency?

1. What is a power transmission system?

A power transmission system is a network of components and structures that work together to transfer electrical energy from a power source to a destination, such as a building or a machine.

2. What are some common problems that can occur in a power transmission system?

Some common problems in a power transmission system include power outages, voltage fluctuations, equipment failures, and transmission line damage.

3. How do you identify a problem in a power transmission system?

A problem in a power transmission system can be identified through various methods, such as visual inspections, monitoring equipment, and data analysis. Signs of a problem may include abnormal noises, overheating equipment, or voltage fluctuations.

4. What are some potential causes of power transmission system problems?

Potential causes of power transmission system problems include weather events, equipment malfunctions, human error, and lack of maintenance. Other factors such as aging infrastructure and overloading can also contribute to system issues.

5. How can power transmission system problems be prevented?

Regular maintenance and inspections, proper training for personnel, and investing in reliable equipment are some ways to prevent power transmission system problems. Additionally, implementing backup systems and having contingency plans in place can help minimize the impact of any potential issues.