Poynting energy flow in Eath's atmosphere?

In summary, the electric field between ionosphere and ground, Earth's magnetic field, and the poynting theorem all contribute to the flow of energy in a west-to-east direction. This flow can be reduced to recover energy and angular momentum, and is responsible for the currents flowing on Earth's surface.
Narayanan KR
Poynting new.jpg

1.There is an electric field between ionosphere and ground, also Earth's magnetic field is perpendicular to this E field, hence by poynting theorem integrating E x H across the entire surface of Earth gives a great deal of energy flowing west to east.
2. |S| = (E X B)/u0 = (150 V/m X 0.045 T)/(1.25 X10^-6 H/m) = 54,00,000 W/m^2 !
3. Imagine keeping a copper rod along west-east, will there be a emf induced across the rod's ends ?, i think we can't measure this voltage because even the voltmeter is inside such an energy flow viz., there is no "sink" or "ground" to do the measurements
4.Are Earth currents because of soil intercepting this flow partially? all your opinions are welcomed. .

Physics news on Phys.org
Narayanan KR said:
View attachment 103601
1.There is an electric field between ionosphere and ground, also Earth's magnetic field is perpendicular to this E field, hence by poynting theorem integrating E x H across the entire surface of Earth gives a great deal of energy flowing west to east.
2. |S| = (E X B)/u0 = (150 V/m X 0.045 T)/(1.25 X10^-6 H/m) = 54,00,000 W/m^2 !
3. Imagine keeping a copper rod along west-east, will there be a emf induced across the rod's ends ?, i think we can't measure this voltage because even the voltmeter is inside such an energy flow viz., there is no "sink" or "ground" to do the measurements
4.Are Earth currents because of soil intercepting this flow partially? all your opinions are welcomed. .
Just because a volume of space contains E and H fields in a certain configuration, not sure that it necessarily means there is a flow of power. I suspect these fields can either be caused by a flow of power or can have a separate existence not caused by the flow of power. As an example, suppose I fix a magnet to a Van de Graaff machine. Is there then a flow of power under steady conditions?

tech99 said:
As an example, suppose I fix a magnet to a Van de Graaff machine. Is there then a flow of power under steady conditions?
Yes. There are closed loops of energy flowing around such a configuration. While the fields are maintained constant there is no work done on matter and no change in the field energy density. All of the energy flowing into a region also flows out.

Just as importantly this type of field configuration has angular momentum. Under the right conditions the field can be reduced to recover the energy and angular momentum.

Likes Spinnor
Mr Dale i want some more links on Heaviside Component.
I didn't find one except his own papers which are difficult to understand ...if you have one please share it with me

I have never heard of heaviside Component

Dale said:
Yes. There are closed loops of energy flowing around such a configuration. While the fields are maintained constant there is no work done on matter and no change in the field energy density. All of the energy flowing into a region also flows out.

Just as importantly this type of field configuration has angular momentum. Under the right conditions the field can be reduced to recover the energy and angular momentum.
Thank you, Dale. And I am supposing that when the V de G machine is switched on, whilst it builds up, an EM wave will be set up which feeds or builds the closed loops of energy. And at switch off, another EM wave is created which extracts that same energy. Similarly if the magnet is an electro magnet and is turned on and off.
As this EM wave is of a very low frequency, I am supposing that it is captive and not radiated.
I am very interested that a captive EM wave having a frequency of a fraction of a Hertz might be part of everyday electrical phenomena.

1. What is Poynting energy flow?

Poynting energy flow is the rate at which energy is transferred through a given area in a specific direction. It is named after the physicist John Henry Poynting, who first described this energy flow in the late 19th century. In the Earth's atmosphere, Poynting energy flow can refer to the transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves, such as sunlight, or through atmospheric processes, such as convection.

2. How is Poynting energy flow related to weather and climate?

Poynting energy flow is an important factor in weather and climate because it helps to determine the distribution of energy in the Earth's atmosphere. The transfer of energy through Poynting energy flow influences the movement of air masses and the formation of weather patterns. It also affects the amount of heat trapped in the atmosphere, which can impact global climate patterns.

3. What are the primary factors that influence Poynting energy flow in the Earth's atmosphere?

The primary factors that influence Poynting energy flow in the Earth's atmosphere include the angle of incidence of sunlight, the composition and properties of the atmosphere (such as the presence of greenhouse gases), and the Earth's rotation. These factors can affect the amount and distribution of energy in the atmosphere, which in turn influences weather and climate.

4. How is Poynting energy flow measured and calculated?

Poynting energy flow can be measured using instruments such as radiometers, which detect the intensity of electromagnetic radiation. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the factors that influence Poynting energy flow, such as the angle of incidence and the properties of the atmosphere.

5. How does Poynting energy flow impact Earth's energy balance?

Poynting energy flow plays a critical role in Earth's energy balance, which is the balance between the amount of energy entering and leaving the planet. It helps to determine the amount of energy that is absorbed by the Earth's surface and the atmosphere, as well as the amount of energy that is reflected back into space. Changes in Poynting energy flow can disrupt this balance, leading to shifts in global temperature and other climate impacts.