Exploring Pragmatic Alternatives to Morality

• Thread starter munky99999
  • Start date
In summary, you are questioning why there is not more discussion of pragmatic alternatives to the extremes of homosexuallity. You suggest the US Army's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy as an example of a pragmatic approach, and think that chivalry is dead.
munky99999
Know what I've been wondering about. We always hear about the extremes on certain morallity arguements or something somewhat different.

While I am not a pragmatist. I am pretty sure they exist :rofl:
so why don't we hear about pragmatic alternatives?

Take homosexuallity.
You have the christians and such where their scripture instructs them to kill homosexuals. Leviticus 20:13
So you have 1 extreme saying to kill all homosexuals.
Then you have obviously the opposite where you have rights for people.(ya i sit in this group, i just don't care who are gay nor what they do)

but I am wondering why we don't have pragmatic views. Like people who would instead of killing and leaving them be. So the pragmatic alternative being somewhere in between like forcing them all to get a sex change or something.

or with the death penalty. Instead of death. cut off all their limbs. Usually a guy without limbs could never ever do something bad again.(im actually more so in the pragmatic position lol. i find it that if the person did something bad enough to get the death penalty. putting them to death isn't a very good punishment, punishment usually has the factor of suffering in it that makes it bad. but death isn't a punishment. for me if i was going to kill a person and there was the death penalty it wouldn't be as bad as if they were going to make me a very undesirable.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you understand the word pragmatic? It has a technical meaning in philosophy and also a common meaning as a synonum for "practical". The usage in your post inclines me to interpret it the second way, but the first way (the Pragmatism of Pearce and Dewey) is not entirely exlcluded.

odd. in my english class the word pragmatist came up in a book we were reading. As i was probably the only one reading the book. I just went to the teacher to ask what it meant. He explained that it meant that its a person who very often compromises in situations.

and then almost right after i seen the very last episode of Star Trek Voyager. Where admiral janeway basically compromises in a situation and they then called her a pragmatist. Plus it fit prefectly well for the book.

so i just assumed that was the correct one. My bad then.

OK, no problem. So in your case of homosexuality, consider the US Army's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. I would consider that a pragmatic (if not altogether successful) approach; wouldn't you? It was originally set forth as a compromise between people who thought the Army shouldn't have homosexuals at all, and those who felt that homosexuals had a right to be treated like everybody else, even in the Army.

selfAdjoint said:
OK, no problem. So in your case of homosexuality, consider the US Army's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. I would consider that a pragmatic (if not altogether successful) approach; wouldn't you? It was originally set forth as a compromise between people who thought the Army shouldn't have homosexuals at all, and those who felt that homosexuals had a right to be treated like everybody else, even in the Army.
ya actually i do like that. a lot of people seem to be happy with this. but then the same people don't like it when the homosexuals flaunt it. Like the queer eye show. Where you have these gay guys come in and act as if their way is superior and straight guys should be more like them. While perhaps the hetero women might like this. I don't think they are superior. If men thought they would get more of what they want(pusy) by doing these things. They would do it. Hell men are generally going in the opposite direction. Chivalry is pretty dead.

munky99999 said:
ya actually i do like that. a lot of people seem to be happy with this. but then the same people don't like it when the homosexuals flaunt it. Like the queer eye show. Where you have these gay guys come in and act as if their way is superior and straight guys should be more like them. While perhaps the hetero women might like this. I don't think they are superior. If men thought they would get more of what they want(pusy) by doing these things. They would do it. Hell men are generally going in the opposite direction. Chivalry is pretty dead.

The Queer Eye show is not actually put on by gays as such, but by a network because it would be popular with the viewers. And it has been.

You have shifted your topic from "having a pragmatic attitude toward social issues" to "how should manly men respond to gay themes in the culture". Forgive me if I infer that you have some unresolved issue with homosexuality personally.

The philosophical approach (IMHO) would be to consider the issues dispassionately; for example do males "need to get in touch with their inner feminine"? Do they even have an inner feminine? Is the culture changing regarding male roles? When the culture we live in seems to challenge us personally what useful responses can we make?

Forgive me if I infer that you have some unresolved issue with homosexuality personally.
most of those beliefs are actually from relatives lol. or from media like TV.

Honestly. As a trekkie. I am a humanistic secular strong-atheist left-winged stoic(human vulcan:What would Picard do?) nerd and geek.

When it comes to morallity questions. I am usually argueing using the liberal/humanistic. but for me. I just really don't care about the practical applications.

Should Ontario have a death penalty? I don't know i don't care. doesn't really affect me. but as a humanist. I do believe it would be more logical to keep them alive and try to fix em up with psychiatry/shock therapy.

Should Ontario legalize and allow all the gay stuff?sure why not. doesn't really affect me. and legalizing it won't change anything.

1. What is meant by "Pragmatic Alternatives to Morality"?

"Pragmatic Alternatives to Morality" refers to the idea that rather than relying on traditional moral codes or ethical principles, individuals can make decisions based on practical considerations and the consequences of their actions. This approach focuses on what is most effective or beneficial in a given situation rather than strict adherence to moral rules.

2. How does this approach differ from traditional morality?

Traditional morality is based on universal principles or values that are considered inherently right or wrong. It often involves following strict rules or codes of conduct, regardless of the specific circumstances or consequences. In contrast, pragmatic alternatives to morality prioritize the practical outcomes of actions over adherence to moral rules.

3. What are some examples of pragmatic alternatives to morality?

One example is utilitarianism, which focuses on maximizing overall happiness or well-being for the greatest number of people. Another example is ethical egoism, which prioritizes one's own self-interest and personal benefit. Other pragmatic alternatives may include situational ethics, moral relativism, or cultural relativism.

4. What are the potential benefits of exploring pragmatic alternatives to morality?

One potential benefit is a more flexible and adaptable approach to decision-making. By considering the specific circumstances and potential outcomes of a situation, individuals may be able to make more effective and rational choices. Additionally, exploring different perspectives and alternative approaches to morality can lead to a deeper understanding of ethical issues and personal values.

5. Are there any criticisms of using pragmatic alternatives to morality?

Yes, there are some criticisms of this approach. Some argue that it can lead to moral relativism and a lack of universal moral standards. Others may argue that it is too focused on individual self-interest and ignores the potential harm to others. Additionally, the practical outcomes of actions may not always align with moral principles, leading to ethical dilemmas and conflicts.