Pre alg. I'm feeling pretty dumb about now.

• Thread starter bewilderee
  • Start date
In summary, the question asked for help with factoring using the distributive law of real numbers in reverse. The conversation discussed the process of factoring and how it relates to the distributive property. The individual had trouble understanding how to apply this concept and eventually came to understand it.
bewilderee
first off the question I'm stuck on is..

2(3.2) + 2(6.4)=

Factor by using the distributive law of real numbers in reverse.

For the life of my this is just not clicking. It's either too late or I'm incapable. ugh!
I went back and read the part on reverse distributive properties, it says, " The reverse of the distributive property is called factoring. The following are some examples."

4(3) + 4(2)= 4(3+2) - the real number factor, 4 is called the common factor of the addends.

I'm thinking I probably need to drag out my book from my last math class and look up factoring. This should be on the homework help page..but they didn't have a section for lowly pre algebra
:redface:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The distributive law says a(b+ c)= ab+ ac. In other words, adding b and c first and then multiplying by a is the same as first multiply each by a and then adding. In your 4(3) + 4(2)= 4(3+2), 4 plays the part of "a" above. Since there is a "4" in each part of the sum, it can be "taken out" as a factor.

Now go back to "2(3.2) + 2(6.4)= ". Do you see that 2 multiplying each of 3.2 and 6.4? That's ab+ ac with a= 2, b= 3.2 and c= 6.4. And it is equal to a(b+ c). What is that in terms of your numbers?

thanks

I've got it now. How they got four was throwing me. It just didn't click that they were factors as they sat.. I kept looking for common factors among the factors, haha... go fig'r

What is pre-algebra?

Pre-algebra is a branch of mathematics that covers basic concepts and skills needed for algebra, such as working with variables, equations, and expressions.

Why is pre-algebra important?

Pre-algebra is important because it lays the foundation for more advanced math courses like algebra, geometry, and calculus. It helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for many careers.

What topics are typically covered in pre-algebra?

Pre-algebra usually covers topics such as operations with whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and integers, as well as basic geometry and algebraic concepts.

What are some tips for understanding pre-algebra?

Some tips for understanding pre-algebra include practicing regularly, asking questions when you don't understand something, breaking down problems into smaller steps, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

What can I do if I am struggling with pre-algebra?

If you are struggling with pre-algebra, you can try reviewing your notes and practicing more, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, or using online resources such as instructional videos or practice problems. It's also important to have a positive attitude and not give up, as math can be challenging but with effort and persistence, you can improve.