Precalculus: Writing polynomial functions (help)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a polynomial function with real coefficients and minimum degree that has -1 and 1+4i as zeros. After some discussion and trial and error, it is determined that the polynomial must have a degree of at least 4 and its factors are x+1, x-1-4i, and x-1+4i. The conversation also mentions using factoring to solve polynomial equations.
Sashman15
Precalculus: Writing polynomial functions (help!) :(

Hey guys and gals, i'd appreciate if you could help me (well) with this question.

Write a polynomial function at minimum degree in standard form with real coefficients whose zeros include -1 and 1+4i

:O its hard for me, I am not a math person, and my precalculus teacher doesn't teach, he just talks.

Thanks!

btw i have a test tomorrow, so if you could tell me the answer and how you got it, that'd be awesome, because then i can study it and learn, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, can you answer the question "what is the minimum degree that a polynomial can have if it has 2 roots" ?

quasar987 said:
First, can you answer the question "what is the minimum degree that a polynomial can have if it has 2 roots" ?

No i cannot. What is it?

Well it's 2. It's can't be one, because a polynomial of degree 1 is of the form

x+b=0 ==> x=-b is the only root.

It can be two though because a polynomial of degree 2 with roots a,b can be written as (x-a)(x-b)=0. But if you set a=-11, b=1+4i, and expand the multiplication of the parenthesis, you'll see that the coefficients are not real. So maybe the minimum degree is 3, in which case the polynomial will be of the form (x+1)(x-(1+4i))(x-z)=0 where z is a 3rd root. Can you choose z such that all the coefficients are real? I've done it and I can't seem to find one, so perhaps it is of degree 4.

I'm sorry, I'm not much help :p

Yeah i know, :P

Do you think you can simply tell me step-by-step how to do the problem? I don't really understand much of the pre-cal jargon, at all. I am a simple person, :( unfortunately, so if you can, tell me how to do it step-by-step, please.

thanx.

I don't know how!

I told you about my idea, but it seems impracticable. There must be a simpler way.

its alright, i'll ask someone else.

Thanks for trying though, :D

You know how to solve polynomial equations, don't you? The simplest way is to factor them.

If a polynomial has a as a zero, then it has x-a as a factor.

Also, if a polynomial, with real coefficients, has a+ bi as a zero, it also has a- bi as a factor.

If a polynomial, with real coefficients, has 1+ 4i as a zero then it must also have 1- 4i as a zero. So your polynomial has x+ 1, x- 1- 4i, and x- 1+ 4i as factors. Multiply them.

What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical function that can be written in the form of ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the independent variable. The exponents must be whole numbers and the coefficients can be any real numbers.

How do you determine the degree of a polynomial function?

The degree of a polynomial function is the highest exponent in the function. For example, the function 3x^2 + 5x + 2 has a degree of 2.

What is the leading coefficient of a polynomial function?

The leading coefficient of a polynomial function is the coefficient of the term with the highest degree. In the function 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the leading coefficient is 3.

How do you write a polynomial function from given roots or zeros?

If the roots or zeros of a polynomial function are known, the function can be written in factored form as (x – r1)(x – r2) ... (x – rn), where r1, r2, ..., rn are the roots. To write the function in standard form, use the fact that (x – r) is equivalent to x + (-r) and multiply out the factors.

Can a polynomial function have complex or imaginary roots?

Yes, a polynomial function can have complex or imaginary roots. For example, the function x^2 + 1 has roots of ±i, where i is the imaginary unit (√-1).