Predicting Final Velocities for a Head-On Elastic Collision Problem

• Thread starter ~Fluffy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, if you are trying to solve the problem using M's reference frame, you should first consider what velocity V_0 M is moving at.
~Fluffy

Homework Statement

"Consider a head-on, elastic collision between two modies whose masses are m and M, with m << M. It is well known that if m has speed v_0 and M is initially t rest, m will bounce straight back with its speed unchanged, while M will remain at rest (to an excellent approximation). Use this fact to predict the final velocities if M approaches with speed v_0 and m is initially at rest. [Hint: Consider the reference frame attached to M.]

Homework Equations

1. p1 + p2' = p1 + p2'
2. m1*v1 + m2*v2 = m1*v1' + m2*v2' (elastic)
3. m1*v1 + m2*v2 = v' * (m1+m2) (inelastic)

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with three possible scenarios for the answer. I'm not certain how to consider the reference frame hint into the problem, which is what I'm primarily interested in understanding.

My possible solutions:

1) M bounces off m, similar to how the example in the beginning of the problem.

ViM = V_0, Vim = 0.

VfM = V_0, Vfm = 0.

I don't think that's likely.

2) M stops at collision, all momentum is transferred to m.

ViM = V_0, Vim = 0.

VfM = 0, Vfm = (M / m) * V_0

3) Both m and M move at speed V_0 (roughly). I'm assuming that M is pushing m forward (so same speed).

ViM = V_0, Vim = 0.

VfM = Vfm = (M / (M+m)) * V_0 (rearrangement of equation 3)

My intuition tells me that solution 3 makes the most sense, but I would like to confirm its validity, as well as better understand the reference frame hint in relation to this problem.

Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In the reference frame attached to M, what is the velocity of M? Of m?

Disclaimer: new poster to this forum so let me know if this is giving too much help

M is moving at velocity of v_0 in a static reference frame. But from the reference frame of M, it is not moving at all (almost by definition). Instead from M's point of view, it looks like m is approaching M at speed v_0 and M is standing still.

So if m was approaching M with a speed of v_0 the problem explained what would happen; it would bounce off and move away from M with a speed of v_0.

Does this give you a sense of how to use M's reference frame to answer the question?

1. What is a simple collision problem?

A simple collision problem is a physics problem that involves two objects colliding with each other. The goal is to determine the resulting motion of the objects after the collision.

2. How do you solve a simple collision problem?

To solve a simple collision problem, you can use the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. This involves setting up equations and solving for the unknown variables.

3. What are the factors that affect the outcome of a simple collision problem?

The factors that affect the outcome of a simple collision problem include the masses of the objects, their initial velocities, and the type of collision (elastic or inelastic).

4. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved as some energy is lost during the collision.

5. Can a simple collision problem be applied to real-world scenarios?

Yes, simple collision problems can be used to analyze real-world scenarios such as car crashes, billiard ball collisions, and sports collisions. By understanding the principles of collisions, scientists can predict and prevent potential accidents.