Preparing for the Challenge of Calculus II

In summary, the speaker is disappointed in their B- grade in Calculus I and recognizes their laziness as a contributing factor. They plan to focus on breaking this habit before starting Calculus II. They also mention that Calculus II is considered the most difficult calculus course and ask for advice on how to prepare for it. They are planning to review integration notes from Calculus I, specifically focusing on trigonometric functions and applications of integration. They also mention that sequences and series are not too difficult and suggest leaving vectors for last. Another person agrees and advises reviewing differentiation and integration before starting Calculus II. They also mention the importance of understanding the material rather than just aiming for a certain letter grade. Finally, they suggest reviewing natural log and
Ryuk1990
So I just found out my grade for Calc I and I got a B-. I'm pretty disappointed in myself because I feel like I could've received at least a B+/A- if I wasn't so lazy. There were exams/quizzes that I seriously didn't study for at all besides a quick 10 minute glimpse in my notes.

So I think it's safe to say that the first thing I need to do to prepare for Calculus II is to get rid of the lazy habit.

Now I've heard that Calc II is supposed to be the most difficult calculus course. So how should I prepare for it? Which things from Precalc and Calc I should I review and be absolutely certain that I know?

Physics news on Phys.org
everything

I'm getting ready for Calc II this summer as well. My instructor from Calc I is teaching Calc II and he informed me a lot of the class will focus on integration involving trig functions and applications of integration. I'm going to spend the week before class starts going over my integration notes from Calc I.

integration. . . usub, partial fractions, trig sub, more usub, and know lots of trig

sequences and series is not so tough

if vectors is in your curriculum, do it last cause it's nice to ease off into easy stuff.

I agree, review differentiation and integration before Calc 2. Most of semester calculus involves just that. And it would be wise to go over the chapters that will be covered in calc 2.

Letter grades are useless for measuring knowledge. Did you learn something in calc 1? That is what matters.

johnnyies said:
everything

yeah... right.
I suggest the natural log and exp functions.

Related to Preparing for the Challenge of Calculus II

What is Calculus II and why is it important?

Calculus II is the second course in the calculus sequence, building upon the concepts learned in Calculus I. It focuses on techniques for integration, applications of integrals, and infinite series. It is an important course for students pursuing degrees in math, engineering, or science, as it provides a strong foundation for higher-level math courses.

What topics should I review before taking Calculus II?

Before taking Calculus II, it is important to review the fundamental concepts from Calculus I, such as limits, derivatives, and basic integration techniques. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and geometry. Some universities may also require students to take a pre-calculus course before enrolling in Calculus II.

How can I prepare for Calculus II?

To prepare for Calculus II, it is important to review the material from Calculus I and any prerequisite courses. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the format of the course, including the textbook and syllabus. Additionally, you can attend review sessions or seek help from a tutor if needed.

What are some common challenges in Calculus II?

Some common challenges in Calculus II include understanding the concepts of infinite series and learning how to apply integration techniques to more complex problems. Many students also struggle with the amount of material covered in a short period of time and may find it helpful to break up studying into smaller, more manageable chunks.

How can I succeed in Calculus II?

To succeed in Calculus II, it is important to attend class regularly, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions and activities. It is also important to practice solving problems regularly and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. Additionally, staying organized and managing your time effectively can help you stay on top of the course material.