Can I Convert PSI to kPa Using Dimensional Analysis?

• Thread starter JoeMaxwell92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation is about trying to convert pressure from psi to kPa using dimensional analysis. The person is having trouble converting pounds to kilograms and is wondering if calculus is involved in the conversion. It is mentioned that 1 lb is equivalent to 0.4536 kg in Earth's gravity and that pressure is the second derivative of kg/meter with respect to time. It is then suggested to convert pounds to kN (kilonewtons) and square inches to square meters, resulting in the conversion of 1 psi to 6.9 kPa. It is also mentioned that a definition of the unit and conversion factors are necessary for accurate conversions.
JoeMaxwell92
Ok, so I was at lowes and I was trying to figure out the gauge pressure of a certain air compressor that used psi measurements. I don't have an iPhone or anything that can pull up internet converters so I figured I would have to do the conversion dimensionally. This posed a problem though as the pounds to kilograms converter on my phone doesn't recognize pounds as a force, but as a mass. I was wondering if there was some sort of calculus involved with dimensionally converting psi to kPa.
1 lb = [tex].4536 kg_{in Earth's gravity}[/tex]
with respect to time, pressure is the second derivative of kg/meter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeMaxwell92 said:
Ok, so I was at lowes and I was trying to figure out the gauge pressure of a certain air compressor that used psi measurements. I don't have an iPhone or anything that can pull up internet converters so I figured I would have to do the conversion dimensionally. This posed a problem though as the pounds to kilograms converter on my phone doesn't recognize pounds as a force, but as a mass. I was wondering if there was some sort of calculus involved with dimensionally converting psi to kPa.

1 lb = [tex].4536 kg_{in Earth's gravity}[/tex]
an object with a mass of 0.4536 kg has a weight of 1 pound on Planet Earth (that's about 4.45 Newtons).
with respect to time, pressure is the second derivative of kg/meter
No need for calculus...1 psi is 1 pound/square inch...convert pounds to kN (1 pound is 0.00445 kN) and convert square inches to square meters , and you end up with 1 psi is 6.9 kPa, or 1 kPa is 0.145 psi, approximately.

So I guess what you are saying is there is no way of converting pounds directly into Newtons by dimensional analysis without a definition, in Newtons, of what a pound is, or without multiplying the conversion from lbs to kg by the gravitational acceleration constant?

JoeMaxwell92 said:
So I guess what you are saying is there is no way of converting pounds directly into Newtons by dimensional analysis without a definition, in Newtons, of what a pound is, or without multiplying the conversion from lbs to kg by the gravitational acceleration constant?
That's right, you need a definition. It's all in the definition of the unit and the conversion factors between units. That is true even within the chosen system of measure itself. For example, a kN is the force required to accelerate 1000 kg of mass at a rate of 1 meter per second per second. But you first need to define the kilogram and meter and second per an international standard.

*secondYes, you can use dimensional analysis to convert PSI (pounds per square inch) to kPa (kilopascals). Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to convert units of measurement by using the relationships between different units. In this case, the relationship between PSI and kPa is:

1 PSI = 6.894757 kPa

This means that for every 1 PSI, there are 6.894757 kPa. To convert from PSI to kPa, you can use the following equation:

kPa = PSI * (6.894757 kPa/ 1 PSI)

This equation uses the conversion factor of 6.894757 kPa/ 1 PSI to convert from PSI to kPa. By multiplying the value of PSI by this conversion factor, you can convert the units to kPa.

There is no calculus involved in this conversion process. Dimensional analysis is a method that is based on simple algebraic equations and does not require any advanced mathematical concepts. So, you can use this method to convert PSI to kPa without any issues.

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the force applied per unit area. It is a measure of the amount of force exerted on a surface per unit area.

2. How is pressure measured?

Pressure is measured using a device called a manometer, which can measure the amount of force exerted on a surface. The unit of measurement for pressure is typically pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

3. What are the different types of pressure?

There are several types of pressure, including atmospheric pressure, hydrostatic pressure, and gauge pressure. Atmospheric pressure is the pressure exerted by the weight of the atmosphere, while hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest. Gauge pressure is the difference between the pressure being measured and atmospheric pressure.

4. How does pressure affect gases?

According to Boyle's Law, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure, meaning that as pressure increases, the volume decreases. Additionally, when a gas is compressed, its temperature increases, and when a gas is expanded, its temperature decreases.

5. What are some real-world applications of pressure?

Pressure plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives. Some examples include using pressure to inflate tires, operate hydraulic systems, and measure blood pressure. Pressure is also essential in weather patterns, as changes in atmospheric pressure can influence the formation of storms and other weather events.