1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pressure 101 - haven'

1. Jun 11, 2010 #1
    Ok, so I was at lowes and I was trying to figure out the gauge pressure of a certain air compressor that used psi measurements. I don't have an iPhone or anything that can pull up internet converters so I figured I would have to do the conversion dimensionally. This posed a problem though as the pounds to kilograms converter on my phone doesn't recognize pounds as a force, but as a mass. I was wondering if there was some sort of calculus involved with dimensionally converting psi to kPa.

1 lb = [tex].4536 kg_{in earths gravity}[/tex]

with respect to time, pressure is the second derivative of kg/meter

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

an object with a mass of 0.4536 kg has a weight of 1 pound on Planet Earth (that's about 4.45 Newtons).
    No need for calculus......1 psi is 1 pound/square inch...convert pounds to kN (1 pound is 0.00445 kN) and convert square inches to square meters , and you end up with 1 psi is 6.9 kPa, or 1 kPa is 0.145 psi, approximately.

4. Jun 11, 2010 #3
    So I guess what you are saying is there is no way of converting pounds directly into newtons by dimensional analysis without a definition, in newtons, of what a pound is, or without multiplying the conversion from lbs to kg by the gravitational acceleration constant?

5. Jun 11, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's right, you need a definition. It's all in the definition of the unit and the conversion factors between units. That is true even within the chosen system of measure itself. For example, a kN is the force required to accelerate 1000 kg of mass at a rate of 1 meter per second per second. But you first need to define the kilogram and meter and second per an international standard.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook