Pressure and Diving Question

• Thread starter verd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the problem discussed is about a diver named Jacques observing a bubble of air rising from the bottom of a lake to the surface, with different pressures and temperatures at each depth. The question is posed about the safety of Jacques holding his breath while ascending, as his lungs would expand and pressure would decrease. The answer is uncertain, as it is unclear where the air in the bubble came from and whether Jacques inhaled it at the surface before swimming to the bottom.
verd
Hi,

So I just did a simple ideal gas problem, having to do with a bubble rising from the bottom of a lake... Here's the problem:

A diver named Jacques observes a bubble of air rising from the bottom of a lake (where the absolute pressure is 3.50 atm) to the surface (where the pressure is 1.00 atm). The temperature at the bottom is 4.0 C}, and the temperature at the surface is 23.0 C}.

What is the ratio of the volume of the bubble as it reaches the surface ( V_s) to its volume at the bottom ( V_b)?

Which I got to be 3.74...

Now, I understand what's happening, and I understand the ideal gas law and the concept of pressure. But I am then asked:

Would it be safe for Jacques to hold his breath while ascending from the bottom of the lake to the surface?

Maybe this is common sense, but how do I know if it's safe? I mean, I know that his lungs would be more compressed further underwater, and as he rose, pressure would decrease... But is it safe for him to do this? I mean, it seems safe to me, but I don't know anything about a person's lungs at different levels of pressure... I know that in scuba diving, as you rise, you have to equalize, which is when equalize the pressure in your ears with whatever depth you're at... It would make sense to me that this Jacques character would have to equalize in that manner, but I think they're talking about his lungs, with the reference to the bubble of water...

Thoughts? Am I reading too much into this? Is this safe or not?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i think it is not safe because his lungs will expand since the volume of the air will increase.

right, but where did the air come from? it couldn't have come from the bottom of the lake... wouldn't he have had to inhale at the top and then swim to the bottom?

1. What is pressure and how does it affect diving?

Pressure is the force exerted on an object in a specific area. In diving, pressure increases as the diver descends deeper into the water. This can cause changes in the body, equipment, and environment, which can potentially lead to serious consequences if not managed properly.

2. How does pressure affect the body while diving?

As pressure increases with depth, the air spaces in the body (such as the lungs, ears, and sinuses) also experience increased pressure. This can cause discomfort, pain, and even injury if not equalized regularly. Additionally, pressure can also affect the body's absorption and elimination of gases, which can lead to decompression sickness.

3. What is the recommended maximum depth for recreational diving?

The maximum depth for recreational diving is typically considered to be 130 feet (40 meters). Beyond this depth, the risks associated with pressure and other factors increase significantly, and specialized training and equipment are required.

4. How can divers manage pressure changes during a dive?

Divers can manage pressure changes by regularly equalizing the air spaces in their body, either by swallowing, yawning, or using specific techniques for the ears and sinuses. Additionally, divers must monitor their depth and ascend gradually to avoid rapid pressure changes, which can cause injury or decompression sickness.

5. What is the role of a dive computer in managing pressure while diving?

A dive computer is an essential tool for managing pressure while diving. It continuously monitors the depth and time of the dive, calculates the amount of nitrogen absorbed in the body, and provides real-time information on decompression stops and ascent rates to ensure a safe and controlled ascent.