Pressure Difference: U-Tube Manometer w/ 825kg/m^3 Fluid

• Thread starter Melawrghk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    U-tube
In summary, the pressure difference in a U-tube manometer can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the difference in height squared. The area of the tube does not affect the calculation.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

A U-tube manometer contains a fluid with density of 825 kg/m^3. The difference in height of the two columns is 35cm. What is the pressure difference?

Homework Equations

None?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no bloody clue. I'm sure I've done this before in AP Chem, but right now... I'm clueless. I think its something really simple, too.
Edit: Now that I think of it... the time variable in P=m/(A*t^2) doesn't change (there is no delta t), so density of the liquid multiplied by the difference in height squared would give me the difference in pressure. Am I even close to the truth?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure is force / area , or weight / area if you prefer.
You don't need the area of the tube since this cancels out, but if you prefer you can think of it as 1m^2.
Now just work out the weight of the extra 35cm * 1m^1 of fluid.
This is the weight pressing down on 1m^2 = pressure (watch the units)

Your attempt at a solution is on the right track. The equation you are referring to is the hydrostatic equation, which relates pressure, density, and height of a fluid. In this case, the pressure difference can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid (825 kg/m^3) by the difference in height (35 cm) and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This will give you the pressure difference in Pascals (Pa). If you need the pressure difference in a different unit, you can convert it using the appropriate conversion factor. It's important to remember to include units in your final answer to ensure the correct interpretation.

1. What is a U-Tube Manometer?

A U-Tube Manometer is a device used to measure the pressure difference between two points in a fluid. It consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a fluid, such as water or mercury, and connected to the two points where the pressure difference is to be measured. The difference in the fluid levels in the two arms of the tube indicates the pressure difference.

2. How does a U-Tube Manometer work?

The U-Tube Manometer works based on the principle of hydrostatic equilibrium, which states that the pressure at any point in a fluid is equal in all directions. In this device, the fluid levels in the two arms of the tube will be at the same height when the pressure at both points is equal. When there is a difference in pressure, the fluid level in the arm with higher pressure will rise, and the fluid level in the other arm will fall, indicating the pressure difference.

3. What is the significance of the 825kg/m^3 fluid used in a U-Tube Manometer?

The 825kg/m^3 fluid used in a U-Tube Manometer is typically water, which is commonly used due to its availability and low cost. Water has a density of 1000kg/m^3, but to make the readings on the manometer easier to interpret, a density of 825kg/m^3 is often used. This density value allows for a greater difference in fluid levels for a given pressure difference, making it more sensitive and easier to read.

4. What are the limitations of using a U-Tube Manometer?

One limitation of using a U-Tube Manometer is that it can only measure pressure differences between two points in a fluid, not absolute pressures. It also requires a liquid with a suitable density, which can limit its use in certain applications. Additionally, the readings can be affected by factors such as temperature, air bubbles in the fluid, and changes in atmospheric pressure.

5. How can a U-Tube Manometer be used in real-life applications?

A U-Tube Manometer can be used in various industries, such as HVAC, chemical engineering, and medical fields, to measure pressure differences in systems or equipment. It can also be used to calibrate other pressure measuring devices. For example, in HVAC systems, a U-Tube Manometer can be used to measure pressure differences in air ducts to ensure proper air flow. In medical fields, it can be used to measure pressure differences in blood vessels or respiratory systems.