Pressure drop across a tube section - compressible flow

In summary, a coworker approached me today with a 'simple problem' to solve, looking to sanity-check a design choice. Unfortunately, I had no idea how to approach it and google had no straight-forward answers either. This seems too simple to require CFD or the like, and I feel like an obvious approach should jump out of standard equations, but I've been fussing with it for half a day to no avail. Even just a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.
ChrisEffinSmi
So, a coworker approached me today with a 'simple problem' to solve, looking to sanity-check a design choice.

Much to my dismay, I had no idea how to approach it. Worse, google had no straight-forward answers either, and any formulae I did find seemed circular.

This seems too simple to require CFD or the like, and I feel like an obvious approach should jump out of standard equations, but I've been fussing with it for half a day to no avail.

Even just a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

1. Homework Statement

A stainless steel tube section of length L (say, 10mm) and diameter D (say 5mm) has 500 standard liters per minute of Nitrogen gas (N2) flowing through it (so a mass flow of ~0.01042 kilograms per second, if I did my math right). What is the pressure drop across this tube section?

Temperature change is unknown, so unless that can be calculated or approximated, I guess we can assume an isothermic process? (I would think very little temperature change could occur over so short a distance anyway, but what do I know, I can't even start this problem...).

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's compressible flow equation (simplified) seems like it would be useful here, but its application escapes me, particularly when trying to extract the velocity from mass flow (how can I divide out density when gas density changes with pressure?)

j0upo4.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle#Compressible_flow_in_fluid_dynamics

The Attempt at a Solution

I got nothin'. =[

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the L/D is only 2? For a longer tube, the first step would be to calculate the Reynolds number for the flow. With a small L/D like that, one also needs to consider entrance effects.

Chestermiller said:
Are you sure the L/D is only 2? For a longer tube, the first step would be to calculate the Reynolds number for the flow. With a small L/D like that, one also needs to consider entrance effects.

Thanks for the rapid attention!

Unfortunately yes. In actuality it's a small tube fitting welded to a much larger pipe. At first I thought to approximate it as an orifice, but the feed's ID is the same as the fitting's, and the pipe it's welded to is sufficiently large to be considered as 'open to atmosphere'. I probably should have been more honest with the physical nature of the system, but I was trying to keep things simple.

What is pressure drop?

Pressure drop refers to the decrease in pressure experienced by a fluid as it flows through a tube or pipe. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

What causes pressure drop in a tube section?

Pressure drop in a tube section is caused by a variety of factors, including the velocity of the fluid, the roughness of the tube walls, and any obstructions or changes in direction within the tube. In compressible flow, the density of the fluid also plays a significant role in pressure drop.

How is pressure drop calculated?

The pressure drop across a tube section can be calculated using the Bernoulli equation, which takes into account the fluid velocity, density, and pressure at different points along the tube. Additionally, empirical equations and experimental data can be used to estimate pressure drop in certain situations.

What is the importance of understanding pressure drop in compressible flow?

Understanding pressure drop in compressible flow is important for engineers and scientists working in a variety of industries, including aerospace, chemical processing, and oil and gas. It allows for the efficient design and operation of systems involving compressible fluids, such as gas pipelines and jet engines.

How can pressure drop be reduced?

Pressure drop can be reduced by increasing the diameter of the tube, smoothing the walls to decrease roughness, and minimizing obstructions within the tube. Additionally, controlling the velocity and density of the fluid can also help to reduce pressure drop in compressible flow.