Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure exerted by a fluid in a closed container

1. Sep 23, 2015 #1
    When a hole is made in the side of the container holding water, water flows out and follows a parabolic trajectory. If the container is dropped in free fall, what will happen to the water flow?

I think that the water flow will follow a similar trajectory..what effect can gravity have on it?
    it will still exert pressure on the walls of the container and therefore will come out. What can be the change?
    Am i correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Imagine that you are in a freely falling elevator. In such a situation, if you let go of a baseball from your hand, do you expect that it would drop to the floor?

4. Sep 23, 2015 #3
    yes it will drop.

5. Sep 23, 2015 #4

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The surprising thing is that, no, it wouldn't! Everything would become as if weightless. You would let go of the ball and it would just float there.

6. Sep 23, 2015 #5
    yeah so you mean that we will be travelling at the same rate as the ball does, and we won't see it falling down. Then connecting it to the original question says that the flow of water will stop?

7. Sep 23, 2015 #6

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right.

8. Sep 23, 2015 #7
    Thanks. Actually i thought on the same line but got confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook