Solve Pressure Problem: Lift 1000kg Car w/Hydraulic Pistons

• Thread starter Lostcase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the problem involves using hydraulic pistons to lift a car with a weight of 1000 kg (9800N) on top of a large piston with a radius of 5 inches. The goal is to find the force needed on the small piston to create enough pressure for the larger piston to overcome the weight of the car. To solve this, we can use the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area of the piston. Using the known force and area of the larger piston, we can determine the pressure it is exerting. Then, by understanding that pressure in equals pressure out, we can use this pressure to calculate the force needed on the smaller piston to create
Lostcase
Pressure: how much force is needed on the small piston to lift the car?

Homework Statement

A hydrolic piston with a radius of 1 inch is connected with a hose to a piston with a radius of 5 inches. There is 1000 kg (9800N) car sitting on top of the large piston. How much force is needed on the small piston to lift the car?

Homework Equations

14.7 psi = lb/in^2
circumference = 2 x 3.14 x radius
Area of a circle = 3.14 x radius^2
lbs / in^2
P = F / A
F = PA

I'm guessing... these are somewhat my formulas.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, this is what I attempted, but I'm pretty sure it's not correct because it is very rare I am right.

1000 kg/ (3.14 x 5^2 in^2) = 7957.7 psi

7957.7 psi x 3.14 = 24999.9 lbs

Plus, I think I should use 9800N at least sometime in this problem. Please tell me what I should change and what steps I should take. And then help me figure the Ideal Mechanical Advantage (I. M. A.) of the hydraulic system?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you want to know the force on the small piston that will cause a pressure large enough for the bigger piston to overcome the weight of the car

be careful with your units, a kg/in^2 is not a pressure (you want a N/m^2 or a lb/in^2)

you have the force for the big piston, (the force that you want the big piston to overcome), you have the area for the big piston...so what else can you find out?

P = F/A

and what do you know about the pressure on the big piston and the small piston?

Remember, pressure in = pressure out! This is the unifying link between both positions and you will find yourself able to solve this problem much more easily.

1. How do hydraulic pistons work to lift a 1000kg car?

Hydraulic pistons use the principle of Pascal's Law, which states that pressure applied to a confined fluid will transmit that pressure equally in all directions. In this case, a small force is applied to a small surface area, creating a high pressure that is transmitted through the confined fluid to a larger surface area, resulting in a larger force. This force is then used to lift the car.

2. What is the maximum weight that can be lifted with hydraulic pistons?

The maximum weight that can be lifted with hydraulic pistons depends on the size and strength of the pistons, as well as the amount of pressure that can be generated. However, in general, hydraulic pistons are capable of lifting very heavy objects, with some systems being able to lift thousands of tons.

3. How is the pressure generated in hydraulic pistons?

The pressure in hydraulic pistons is generated by a pump that forces a liquid, usually oil, into a small cylinder, creating high pressure. This pressure is then transmitted through the liquid to a larger cylinder, where it is used to lift the object. The pressure can be controlled by adjusting the size of the cylinders and the amount of force applied to the pump.

4. What are the advantages of using hydraulic pistons for lifting heavy objects?

There are several advantages to using hydraulic pistons for lifting heavy objects. Firstly, they are able to generate a large amount of force with a relatively small amount of input force. They are also able to lift heavy objects smoothly and evenly, without jerking or sudden movements. Additionally, hydraulic systems are relatively easy to maintain and can be controlled precisely.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using hydraulic pistons?

Yes, there are some safety precautions that should be considered when using hydraulic pistons. It is important to ensure that the system is designed and installed correctly, and that all components are in good working condition. Overloading the system or using it for purposes it was not designed for can be dangerous. It is also important to regularly check for any leaks or malfunctions and to follow proper operating procedures to avoid accidents.