Work Done on N2 Gas in Isothermal Expansion: Irreversible vs Reversible

• Thread starter madtaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, we have a system of 2 litres of N2 held in a piston at a pressure of 5 atm and temperature of 273K. The system undergoes an isothermal expansion until the final pressure is 1 atm. Under irreversible conditions, the work done on the gas is 4040 J, while under reversible conditions it is 1625 J. The reversible process should result in a higher work done as it allows for maximum work to occur. It is possible that there may be a calculation error in the irreversible process as the final volume should be 0.01 m^3.
madtaz
2 litres of N2 held in a piston at a pressure of 5 atm initially held at
T=273K expands isothermally until the final pressure is 1 atm. What is
the work done on the gas in this expansion under (i) irreversible and (ii)
reversible conditions? Comment on the magnitude of your answers to
(i) and (ii). (You may assume that N2 behaves as an ideal gas.)

My attempt:

for irreversible we have : w' = p(ext) (Vf -Vi)

I've taken p(external) to be 5 atm = 5.05x10^5 Pa

V (initial) is 2 litres = 0.002 m^3

to find Vfinal i used V = P x V (initial)/ P final

to get V final = 0.01

Putting these numbers into w' = p(ext) (Vf -Vi) to get 4040 J, but for the work done on the system this is -4040j

For reversible is used w' = nRT ln (Vf / Vi) to get 1625 J, so for work done on the system = -1625 J

But the Reversible process should be higher as maximum work occurs so the value for the irreversible should be lower.

Where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

has anyone had a go at this?

1. What is the difference between irreversible and reversible expansion?

Irreversible expansion is a process where work is done on a system in a non-equilibrium state, resulting in an increase in entropy. Reversible expansion is a process where work is done on a system in a state of equilibrium, resulting in no change in entropy.

2. How does the work done on N2 gas differ in isothermal expansion between irreversible and reversible processes?

In an irreversible expansion, the work done on N2 gas will be greater because the process is not conducted in a state of equilibrium, and therefore there is an increase in entropy. In a reversible expansion, the work done on N2 gas will be less because the process is conducted in a state of equilibrium and there is no change in entropy.

3. What is the relationship between work done and entropy change in isothermal expansion of N2 gas?

The work done on N2 gas in isothermal expansion is directly proportional to the entropy change. In irreversible expansion, there is an increase in entropy and therefore more work is done. In reversible expansion, there is no change in entropy and therefore less work is done.

4. How does the efficiency of isothermal expansion of N2 gas compare between irreversible and reversible processes?

The efficiency of isothermal expansion of N2 gas is greater in reversible processes because there is no increase in entropy, resulting in less energy loss. In irreversible processes, there is an increase in entropy and therefore a decrease in efficiency.

5. What factors influence the work done on N2 gas in isothermal expansion?

The work done on N2 gas in isothermal expansion is influenced by the initial and final pressures and volumes of the gas, as well as the temperature and whether the process is conducted irreversibly or reversibly.