Best Pressure Sensor for 125°C, 3 bar Environment: Options and Considerations

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a small pressure sensor for an environment with specific requirements, including a temperature range of 10 to 125°C and 100% humidity. The ideal sensor would have a digital interface and full temperature compensation, but a budget of $50 to $150 is available. The possibility of using a digital interface or analog pressure transducer is also mentioned. The conversation also suggests mounting the sensor away from the pressure vessel using a suitable shaped tube for better accuracy. The desired frequency response is around 100ms.
JT Smith
I'm trying to find a small pressure sensor for an environment that will be between 1 and 3 bar absolute, 10 to 125°C, and 100% humidity.

By small I mean a port that's no larger than about 1/4" (sorry for mixing unit systems). Ideally I'd like to have a digital interface but it's not critical. And full temperature compensation would be wonderful, but if I have to I can calibrate across temperature and pressure.

What's my best option? I'd love to get away for no more than about $50, but I can probably spend around $150 if I have to. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the ambient operating environment temperature reach as high as 125°C or is that the temperature of a fluid or gas being sensed.

Both. The sensor will be mounted on the exterior of a metal vessel which will contain the hot vapor. So the vessel itself will be close to the same temperature. But the environment outside the vessel will be room temperature and normal humidity.

JT Smith said:
Ideally I'd like to have a digital interface but it's not critical.
How do you mean? Digital as in on/off (above/below a setpoint) - that is, a pressure switch, or an analog pressure transducer with the output coded into some manner of digital format?

125°C wetted is just barely do-able in an affordable analog pressure sensor. Specs for ProSense series pressure sensors as an example.

Asymptotic said:
How do you mean? Digital as in on/off (above/below a setpoint) - that is, a pressure switch, or an analog pressure transducer with the output coded into some manner of digital format?

125°C wetted is just barely do-able in an affordable analog pressure sensor. Specs for ProSense series pressure sensors as an example.

I meant a digital interface for reading the sensor would be the simplest but it is by no means a requirement.

Thanks for the link. I was hoping something less expensive might be available but I kind of suspected that would not be the case.

If you are not reading fast dynamic changes of pressure then the actual sensor can be mounted away from the pressure vessel and connected by a suitable shaped tube .

Most commonly a U tube with the outer leg longer than the vessel connection leg is used so that gauge is above the level of the actual port . There are several alternative configurations though .

Common practice . First devised in the early days of steam technology for connecting mechanical pressure gauges to boilers .

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic
Nidum said:
If you are not reading fast dynamic changes of pressure then the actual sensor can be mounted away from the pressure vessel and connected by a suitable shaped tube .

Most commonly a U tube with the outer leg longer than the vessel connection leg is used so that gauge is above the level of the actual port . There are several alternative configurations though .

Common practice . First devised in the early days of steam technology for connecting mechanical pressure gauges to boilers .

That was my first thought, to use a pigtail kind of isolation. But I worry this will perturb the system significantly. It's a fairly small chamber.

What sort of frequency response do you need from your sensor?

The pressure will be relatively slowly varying. A response time of 100ms would be adequate.

1. What does the temperature rating of 125°C mean for this pressure sensor?

The temperature rating of 125°C means that the pressure sensor can operate safely and accurately at temperatures up to 125°C without any damage or loss of function.

2. What is the maximum pressure that this sensor can measure?

This sensor has a maximum pressure rating of 3 bar, which means it can accurately measure pressures up to 3 bar without causing damage to the sensor.

3. What is the accuracy of this pressure sensor?

The accuracy of this pressure sensor can vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer, but it is typically between 0.5-1% of the full scale pressure range.

4. Can this pressure sensor be used in hazardous environments?

It depends on the specific model and manufacturer, but many pressure sensors are designed to be used in hazardous environments and have special certifications and ratings to ensure their safety in those conditions.

5. How is the pressure measured by this sensor?

This pressure sensor uses a variety of methods to measure pressure, such as strain gauge, piezoresistive, or capacitive technology. The specific method used will depend on the model and manufacturer.