1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure/Temp/Volume question

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1

itr

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One mole of an ideal gas at 300K expands isothermally from a pressure of 2x10^6 N/m^2 to a pressure of 2x10^5 N/m^2.

Derive the equations for, and calculate:

the heat absorbed by the gas...
    the change in the internal energy of the gas...
    the entropy change in the gas if it expands reversibly

2. Relevant equations

Q=mc(Δt)
    ΔE = Q - W
    PV = nRT
    W = PΔV
    Another equation involving ΔE, but i am not sure what it is...

3. The attempt at a solution

Since it is an isothermic equation, there is no Δt...which makes the ΔE equal zero(the internal energy). Since the internal energy is zero, that makes the equation ΔE=Q-W into Q=W. I am not sure how to finish the problem, because i have a change in pressure...but there is no change in temperature....

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Work is just the area under a PV diagram. Draw out the diagram, label V1 and V2 (the initial and final volumes), and you'll see what the area is.

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3

itr

how do i know what the change in volumes are? all i know is there is a pressure decrease, which could mean anything....unless i am missing something

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook