Pressure Underwater Homework: Calculate Force for Submarine Porthole

In summary, the task involves calculating the absolute pressure at a depth of 500 m in the ocean, taking into account the density of sea water and the pressure exerted by the air above. The solution provided involves finding the force exerted by the water on a circular submarine porthole, using the equation F=PA. However, there was an error in the calculation of the area of the circle, which was rectified by using the correct formula (pi*D^2)/4.
vipertongn

Homework Statement

(a) Calculate the absolute pressure at an ocean depth of 500 m. Assume the density of sea water is 1024 kg/m3 and that the air above exerts a pressure of 101.3 kPa. --I got this one its 5118900 Pa or N/m

(b) At this depth, what force must the frame around a circular submarine porthole having a diameter of 28.0 cm exert to counterbalance the force exerted by the water?

Homework Equations

F=PA

The Attempt at a Solution

F= (5118900)(pi*.28^2)=1.26e6

Thing is this is wrong and I have no idea why. Can someone enlighten me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your area of the circle equation. I think you are missing something there.

Thanks
Matt

OH gosh i put in the diameter rather than the radius thanks so much

Or you can keep the diameter. It is simply (pi*D^2)/4

Thanks
Matt

Related to Pressure Underwater Homework: Calculate Force for Submarine Porthole

1. How do you calculate the force on a submarine porthole due to water pressure?

The force on a submarine porthole due to water pressure can be calculated by multiplying the water pressure (in Pascals) by the area of the porthole (in square meters).

2. What is the formula for calculating water pressure at a certain depth?

The formula for calculating water pressure at a certain depth is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth.

3. How does the force on a submarine porthole change with depth?

The force on a submarine porthole increases with depth due to the increase in water pressure. As the depth increases, the water above exerts more force on the porthole, resulting in a higher force.

4. What units are used to measure force in this calculation?

The force on a submarine porthole can be measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

5. How can the force on a submarine porthole be minimized?

The force on a submarine porthole can be minimized by designing the porthole to have a smaller surface area, as this will decrease the amount of water pressure acting on it. Additionally, using stronger and thicker materials can also help to reduce the force on the porthole.