Pressure vessel in a (near) vacuum

In summary, a pressure vessel in a (near) vacuum is a container used to maintain a low pressure or vacuum environment, commonly used in scientific experiments, industrial processes, and aerospace technology. It works by using strong materials and structures to withstand external atmospheric pressure and has a mechanism to remove air or other gases from the inside. Safety measures include regular inspections and proper training, and applications include scientific research, industrial processes, and medical technology.
CaptainofIron
I don't know if its daylight savings or what, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this analysis.

There is a polycarbonate hemispherical head with 8 psi in a near vacuum environment (2.8 torr)

Im trying to figure out what the minimum thickness is for the head.

The shell is super thick and seamless so I am not worried about it.

The OD is 3.5"

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just add 1 bar to the pressure inside the head to account for the extra force due to the vacuum outside.

1. What is a pressure vessel in a (near) vacuum?

A pressure vessel in a (near) vacuum is a container that is designed to hold and maintain a low pressure or vacuum environment. It is commonly used in scientific experiments, industrial processes, and aerospace technology.

2. How does a pressure vessel in a (near) vacuum work?

A pressure vessel in a (near) vacuum works by using a combination of materials and structures to withstand the external atmospheric pressure and prevent it from collapsing. It also has a mechanism to remove air or other gases from the inside, creating a low pressure or vacuum environment.

3. What materials are used to make a pressure vessel in a (near) vacuum?

Pressure vessels in a (near) vacuum are typically made from strong and durable materials such as steel, aluminum, and titanium. These materials are able to withstand high external pressures and maintain the integrity of the vessel.

4. What are the safety measures for using a pressure vessel in a (near) vacuum?

Safety measures for using a pressure vessel in a (near) vacuum include regular inspections, proper training for handling and operating the vessel, and following safety protocols such as wearing protective gear and monitoring pressure levels.

5. What are the applications of pressure vessels in a (near) vacuum?

Pressure vessels in a (near) vacuum have a wide range of applications, including scientific research and experiments, industrial processes such as chemical reactions and distillation, and space exploration. They are also used in medical technology for sterilization and storage of sensitive materials.