1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prime Ideals

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that there are exactly two minimal prime ideals in k[X,Y]/<XY>. P is a minimal prime ideal if it is prime and every subset of P that is a prime ideal is actually P. k is a field.

3. The attempt at a solution

Prime ideals of k[X,Y] are <0> and <f> for irreducibles f. But then doesn't every ideal contain <0>? So how can there be other prime ideals?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2
    I think that that definition should be modified to include the word 'non-trivial' somewhere in there. How about:

P is a minimal prime ideal if it is prime and every non-trivial subset of P that is a prime ideal is actually P. k is a field.

4. Oct 7, 2009 #3
    Alright, but even with that, I'm still not sure how to preceed. It probably has to do with the fact that nontrivial prime ideals of k[X,Y] are generated by irreducible elements. Somehow this translates to two nontrivial minimal prime ideals in k[X,Y]/<XY>

5. Oct 7, 2009 #4
    I could be mistaken but I think that the idea of a correspondence between ideals in R and ideals in R/I might called for here.

Edit:

What's (xn + 1)(ym + 1) in R[x, y]/(xy)?
    How does xn + ym factor?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook