Can Prime Numbers x Satisfy x^2 = v^3 + 1?

• Thread starter Pandaren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes
In summary, the conversation is about finding all prime numbers x such that x^2 = v^3 + 1 for some integer v. The conversation starts with someone asking for help on the problem and someone else suggesting to try factoring. After some discussion, they conclude that the only possible solution is x = 2. They also discuss that (v+1)(v^2-v+1) is a factorization of x^2 and explore other ways to factor x^2. Finally, they thank each other for the help.
Pandaren
Hey everyone, I need help on this problem:

Find all prime numbers [tex]x[/tex] such that [tex]x^2 = v^3 + 1[/tex] for some integer [tex]v[/tex].

Thanks a lot for your help, i appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try factoring.

After I factored the right side, i got [tex]x^2 = (v + 1)(v^2 - v + 1)[/tex] I don't see what to do next :frown:

Thank you for your help :smile:

You've found 2 factors, in terms of v.
Can you find all factors, in terms of x?

I don't understand the "all factors of x" part
you mean [tex](x - 1)(x + 1) = v^3[/tex] ?

The only x that seem to work is x = 2

Well, x^2 is the square of the prime, x, right? You know the prime factorization of x^2, so you can write down all of its factors.

Since v+1 is a factor, v+1 must be equal to one of the numbers on that list...

Hurkyl said:
Well, x^2 is the square of the prime, x, right? You know the prime factorization of x^2, so you can write down all of its factors.

Since v+1 is a factor, v+1 must be equal to one of the numbers on that list...
you mean if 2 is a prime, then [tex]2 = x[/tex], [tex]2^2 = x^2[/tex]
Then [tex]2^2 = (v + 1)(v^2 - v + 1)[/tex] Or [tex]2 * 2 = (v + 1)(v^2 - v + 1)[/tex]
Therefore [tex]2 = v + 1[/tex] and [tex]2 = v^2 - v + 1[/tex]?

Last edited:
You know that (v+1)(v^2-v+1) is a factorization of x^2 into two factors, and you know that x * x is a factorization of x^2 into two factors, but you don't know that they're the same factorization.

However, you can write down all of the ways to factor x^2 into two factors, and you know that (v+1)(v^2-v+1) is going to be one of them.

Ohh I understand now thanks for your help

Related to Can Prime Numbers x Satisfy x^2 = v^3 + 1?

What is the problem being addressed?

The problem being addressed is solving the equation x^2 = v^3 + 1 for prime numbers x.

Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it has applications in cryptography and number theory. It also helps us understand the properties and relationships of prime numbers.

What is the current progress on solving this problem?

As of now, there is no known general solution for this problem. However, some progress has been made in finding special cases and patterns in the solutions.

What are some strategies for approaching this problem?

One strategy is to use algebraic techniques to manipulate the equation and look for patterns. Another approach is to use computational methods, such as computer algorithms, to search for solutions.

Are there any potential real-world applications for solving this problem?

Yes, this problem has potential applications in cryptography, which is used to secure communication and information systems. It can also provide insights into the distribution and behavior of prime numbers, which has implications in various fields such as physics and economics.