Probabilities of Random Guessing

In summary: Overall, it's a matter of personal preference and what works best for each individual test taker. In summary, the conversation discusses a contentious topic in which the instructor suggests consistently choosing the same answer choice on multiple choice tests for a higher expected score, while the student argues that the expected score is always 20% regardless of the guessing method. It is concluded that the only advantage of the instructor's approach is a smaller deviation and potentially more time to consider other questions. Ultimately, the effectiveness of this method depends on personal preference and individual test-taking strategies.
JamesCreswell
Hello,

I am a student in high school and I possesses a keen proclivity for mathematics and physics. A contentious topic of discussion has come up among my friends, and I seek some assistance in resolving it.

A few days ago in my AP Chemistry class, the instructor told us that were we to have to guess on a multiple choice test, it would be advantageous to always pick the same choice (that is, consistently and solely choosing answer choice X for every question that must be guessed on will produce a higher expected score than will randomly selecting an answer choice for each question individually).

To this I object. Surely, regardless of the method of guessing employed, the expected score is always 20% (assuming 5 answer choices)? Am I incorrect? Can a proof or some sophisticated and impeccable logic be assembled on either side?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in that the expected score will be the same in either case. The only advantage of picking the same choice would be a smaller deviation, assuming that the test was set up that the correct answers were set to be uniformly distributed.

If instructor's method is a faster method of guessing than varying your choices, it would give you more time to consider the questions where you are not completely guessing. That additional time might improve your score. That's the only advantage I see in your instructor's approach.

What is meant by "Probabilities of Random Guessing"?

"Probabilities of Random Guessing" refers to the likelihood of correctly guessing a random outcome or event. It is a measure of chance and can be expressed as a percentage or fraction.

How is the probability of random guessing calculated?

The probability of random guessing is calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes that would result in a correct guess by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if there are 5 possible outcomes and only 1 of them would result in a correct guess, the probability of random guessing would be 1/5 or 20%.

What is the significance of understanding probabilities of random guessing?

Understanding probabilities of random guessing is important in many fields, including mathematics, statistics, and psychology. It allows us to make informed decisions based on the likelihood of a certain outcome and can help us better understand patterns and trends in data.

How does the concept of probabilities of random guessing apply to real-life situations?

In real-life situations, probabilities of random guessing can help us make decisions or predictions. For example, in gambling, understanding the probability of winning can help us make informed choices about which games to play. In medicine, understanding the probability of a certain treatment being successful can help doctors make treatment decisions for their patients.

Can probabilities of random guessing be manipulated?

No, probabilities of random guessing are based on mathematical calculations and cannot be manipulated. However, understanding these probabilities can help us make informed decisions and potentially increase our chances of success in certain situations.