Solving Club Membership Probability Problem

• Thread starter chrisyuen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of a randomly chosen member being male in a certain club is 21/25, and if the member is female, the probability of her being a non-smoker is 5/8. These probabilities were calculated using the information that one-fifth of the members are smokers, one-sixth of male members are smokers, and one-eighth of non-smoking members are female.
chrisyuen

Homework Statement

In a certain club, one-fifth of its members are smokers. One-sixth of its male members are smokers. Among the non-smoking members, one-eighth are female. A member is randomly chosen.

(a) What is the probability that this member is male;
(b) If this member is female, what is the probability that she is a non-smoking member.

(Answers:
(a) 21/25
(b) 5/8)

Homework Equations

Probability Formulae

The Attempt at a Solution

One of my friends told me the followings in order to get the final answer correct.

However, I don't know how can he get them.

(a)
(1 - 1/5) * (1 - 1/8) / (1 - 1/6)
= 7/10 / (5/6)
= 21/25
(b)
(1 - 1/5) * 1/8 / (1 - 21/25)
= 1/10 / (4/25)
= 1/10 * 25/4
= 5/8

I tried to write a tree diagram as follows:

S = 1/5
NS = 4/5

S.M = 1/6
S.F = 5/6

NS.M = 7/8
NS.F = 1/8

S: Smoker; NS: Non-Smoker; M: Male; F: Female

Did my tree diagram correct?

My attempt on part (a):
P(M)
= P(M|S)P(S) + P(M|NS)P(NS)
= 1/6 * 1/5 + 7/8 * 4/5
= 11/15

My attempt on part (b):
P(NS|F)
= P(NS and F) / (P(F|S)P(S) + P(F|NS)P(NS))
= 4/5 * 1/8 / (1/5 * 5/6 + 4/5 * 1/8)
= 3/8

But my answers are not correct.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this question?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
P(S|M) is not the same as P(M|S) this was your error on both the parts. Do you know the formula to obtain P(M|S) from P(S|M)?

Focus said:
P(S|M) is not the same as P(M|S) this was your error on both the parts. Do you know the formula to obtain P(M|S) from P(S|M)?

P(S|M)
= P(S and M) / P(M)
= P(M|S)P(S) / P(M)?

Thank you very much!

chrisyuen said:
P(S|M)
= P(S and M) / P(M)
= P(M|S)P(S) / P(M)?

Thank you very much!

I don't know about tree diagrams but one of them looks false. Try to just write it out as P(A|B). "One-sixth of its male members are smokers", what are you given?

As an example, 2/5 of the women population read Heat magazine, so P(reading heat| it's a woman)=2/5. The information given to you is that it is a woman, restated it says given that the person is a woman, the probability of the person reading Heat is 2/5.

Your formula is correct (Bayesian formula). Try to rethink about what the question says. I hope that example helps. If not let me know.

P(NS|M)
= P(M|NS) P(NS) / P(M)

P(M)
= P(M|NS) P(NS) / P(NS|M)
= P(M|NS) P(NS) / (1 - P(S|M))
= 7/8 x 4/5 / (1 - 1/6)
= 21/25

P(NS|F)
= P(F|NS) P(NS) / P(F)
= P(F|NS) P(NS) / (1 - P(M))
= 1/8 x 4/5 / (1 - 21/25)
= 5/8

Am I right?

chrisyuen said:
P(NS|M)
= P(M|NS) P(NS) / P(M)

P(M)
= P(M|NS) P(NS) / P(NS|M)
= P(M|NS) P(NS) / (1 - P(S|M))
= 7/8 x 4/5 / (1 - 1/6)
= 21/25

P(NS|F)
= P(F|NS) P(NS) / P(F)
= P(F|NS) P(NS) / (1 - P(M))
= 1/8 x 4/5 / (1 - 21/25)
= 5/8

Am I right?

Yep looks fine to me :approve:

Focus said:
Yep looks fine to me :approve:

Thanks for your helps!

What is the "Solving Club Membership Probability Problem"?

The "Solving Club Membership Probability Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the probability of being a member of a certain club or organization based on the total number of members and the number of people that meet specific criteria for membership.

Why is the "Solving Club Membership Probability Problem" important?

The "Solving Club Membership Probability Problem" is important because it allows us to make informed decisions about the likelihood of being accepted into a club or organization. It also helps us understand the overall membership trends and demographics of a particular group.

What factors affect the outcome of the "Solving Club Membership Probability Problem"?

The outcome of the "Solving Club Membership Probability Problem" is affected by the total number of members, the number of people that meet the membership criteria, and the probability of being accepted into the club or organization. Other factors that may also play a role include the size of the pool of potential members, the competitiveness of the club, and any biases in the selection process.

What are some real-world applications of the "Solving Club Membership Probability Problem"?

The "Solving Club Membership Probability Problem" can be applied in various fields, such as social sciences, marketing, and economics. For example, it can help predict the success of a marketing campaign targeted towards a specific demographic or determine the likelihood of a certain group being represented in a particular organization.

How can the "Solving Club Membership Probability Problem" be solved?

The "Solving Club Membership Probability Problem" can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as the binomial distribution, Bayes' theorem, or the hypergeometric distribution. These methods involve calculating the probability of a specific outcome occurring based on the given data and assumptions.