Defining a Probability Distribution with Measure Spaces and Delta Functions

In summary, a probability distribution is a measure $P$ on the assumed probability space $\Omega$ with the total mass $1$, i.e. $P(\Omega )=1$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $M$ be a measure space and $(a_i)_{i\in \mathbb{N}}\subset M$. I want to show that for positive $p_1, \ldots , p_n$ with $\displaystyle{\sum_{i=1}^np_i=1}$ by $\displaystyle{Q=\sum_{i=1}^np_i\delta_{a_i}}$ a probability distribution is defined. Do we have to show that $$Q(x)=P(X=x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
p_i & \text{ for } x=x_i, \ (i=1, 2, \ldots , n) \\
0 & \text{ otherwise }
\end{matrix}\right.$$ where $\displaystyle{\sum_{i=1}^np_i=1}$ ? (Wondering) We have the following:

Since $\delta_{a_i}(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1 & \text{ if } x\in a_i \\
0 & \text{ otherwise }
\end{matrix}\right.$

we get
$$Q(x)=\sum_{i=1}^np_i\delta_{a_i}(x)=\sum_{i=1}^n\left (p_i\cdot \left\{\begin{matrix}
1 & \text{ if } x\in a_i \\
0 & \text{ otherwise }
\end{matrix}\right.\right )$$

Is this correct so far? How could we continue? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is stated strangely. What is the domain of $Q$, and what is $X$?

Euge said:
The question is stated strangely. What is the domain of $Q$, and what is $X$?

By $X$ I mean a random variable. Shouldn't the domain of $Q$ be the random variable $X$ and the range $[0,1]$ ? (Wondering)

It looks as if we need to verify that the conditions/axioms of a probability distribution are satisfied.

Can you provide us with the definition of a probability distribution?
And also the definition of a measure space? (Wondering)

A probability distribution is a measure $P$ on the assumed probability space $\Omega$ with the total mass $1$, i.e. $P(\Omega ) = 1$. So, do we have to show in this case that $Q(M)=1$ ? (Wondering)

It's as I thought -- your definition of a probability distribution is the same as the definition of a probability measure, not a probability distribution function. So in particular, the domain of $Q$ is the sigma-algebra on M, not M itself.

The Dirac masses $\delta_{a_i}$ concentrated at $a_i$ are positive measures on $M$, so $Q$, being a linear combination of those measures, is a positive measure on $M$. Now since the $a_i\in M$, $\delta_{a_i}(M) = 1$ for each $i$, and hence $Q(M) = \sum p_i \delta_{a_i}(M) = \sum p_i = 1$. This shows that $Q$ is a probability measure on $M$.

mathmari said:
A probability distribution is a measure $P$ on the assumed probability space $\Omega$ with the total mass $1$, i.e. $P(\Omega ) = 1$. So, do we have to show in this case that $Q(M)=1$ ? (Wondering)

Euge said:
It's as I thought -- your definition of a probability distribution is the same as the definition of a probability measure, not a probability distribution function. So in particular, the domain of $Q$ is the sigma-algebra on M, not M itself.

The Dirac masses $\delta_{a_i}$ concentrated at $a_i$ are positive measures on $M$, so $Q$, being a linear combination of those measures, is a positive measure on $M$. Now since the $a_i\in M$, $\delta_{a_i}(M) = 1$ for each $i$, and hence $Q(M) = \sum p_i \delta_{a_i}(M) = \sum p_i = 1$. This shows that $Q$ is a probability measure on $M$.

I take it that our measure space is actually a measurable space given by the tuple $(\Omega, M)$?
And we have the Dirac measures $\delta_{a_i}$ on it?
And we have the presumed probability measure $P$ for the presumed probability space $(\Omega, M, P)$?

According to the definition of Probability measure, we would need to verify that:
  • $P$ is countably additive (also called σ-additive): if ${\displaystyle \{A_{i}\}_{i=1}^{\infty }\subseteq {M}}$ is a countable collection of pairwise disjoint sets, then ${\displaystyle \textstyle P(\bigcup _{i=1}^{\infty }A_{i})=\sum _{i=1}^{\infty }P(A_{i}),}$
  • the measure of entire sample space is equal to one: ${\displaystyle P(\Omega )=1}$.
Don't we? (Wondering)

It also seems to mean that the domain of $Q$ is $\Omega$ isn't it?
That is, not the σ-algebra $M$, but the set of outcomes $\Omega$. (Wondering)

It's common abuse of notation to represent a measure space by the underlying set. So It's fair to assume that $M$ is the underlying set.

I like Serena said:
I take it that our measure space is actually a measurable space given by the tuple $(\Omega, M)$?
Sometimes the terms measure space and measurable space are used interchangeably. I'm referring to $M$ as a measurable space, and my argument shows (assuming that one already knows Dirac masses are measures) that $Q$ is a probability measure on $M$, that is, $Q$ is a probability measure on the sigma-algebra of $M$ (the underlying set).

I like Serena said:
According to the definition of Probability measure, we would need to verify that:
  • $P$ is countably additive (also called σ-additive): if ${\displaystyle \{A_{i}\}_{i=1}^{\infty }\subseteq {M}}$ is a countable collection of pairwise disjoint sets, then ${\displaystyle \textstyle P(\bigcup _{i=1}^{\infty }A_{i})=\sum _{i=1}^{\infty }P(A_{i}),}$
  • the measure of entire sample space is equal to one: ${\displaystyle P(\Omega )=1}$.

I got stuck right now. Besides $Q(\Omega)=1$ do we have to show that ${\displaystyle \textstyle Q(\bigcup _{i=1}^{\infty }A_{i})=\sum _{i=1}^{\infty }Q(A_{i})}$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I got stuck right now. Besides $Q(\Omega)=1$ do we have to show that ${\displaystyle \textstyle Q(\bigcup _{i=1}^{\infty }A_{i})=\sum _{i=1}^{\infty }Q(A_{i})}$ ? (Wondering)

I believe so, since it's part of the definition on wiki, although you did not mention it in your definition. (Nerd)

Either way, I'm still trying to sort out which sets, $\sigma$-algebras, and functions we have exactly.
Rereading the problem statement and Euge's comments I'm deducing that we do not have a set of outcomes $\Omega$. Instead we have a set of outcomes $M$.
We have an as yet unspecified $\sigma$-algebra - let's call it $\mathcal F$ - and also an unspecified measure.
I'm still not clear on the domain of $\delta_{a_i}$.
It doesn't seem to match the wiki article on Dirac measure's.
Instead it seems to match the indicator function $1_{a_i}$ that is also mentioned there.
Consequently I'm not clear on the domain of $Q$ either.

Can you perhaps clarify? (Wondering)

To clarify matters, let's first be more explicit, not abusing notation. We have a measurable space $(\Omega, \mathcal{F})$ where $\Omega$ is a set and $\mathcal{F}$ is a sigma-field (or sigma-algebra) on $\Omega$. Also, we fix points $a_1,\ldots, a_n\in \Omega$, and let $p_1,\ldots p_n$ be positive numbers such that $\sum p_i = 1$. Then we consider the mapping $Q : \mathcal{F} \to [0, \infty)$ given by $Q = \sum p_i \delta_{a_i}$. The goal is to prove $Q$ is a probability measure on $\Omega$.

If we are to prove $Q$ is a probability measure directly from the axioms, we must show that $Q(\emptyset) = 0$, $Q(\Omega) = 1$, $0 \le Q(A) \le 1$ for all $A\in \mathcal{F}$, and $Q$ is countably additive, i.e., if $\{E_k\}_{k=1}^\infty$ is a sequence of events (that is, elements of $\mathcal{F}$) and $E = \cup E_k$, then $Q(E) = \sum_k Q(E_k)$.

Euge said:
If we are to prove $Q$ is a probability measure directly from the axioms, we must show that $Q(\emptyset) = 0$, $Q(\Omega) = 1$, $0 \le Q(A) \le 1$ for all $A\in \mathcal{F}$, and $Q$ is countably additive, i.e., if $\{E_k\}_{k=1}^\infty$ is a sequence of events (that is, elements of $\mathcal{F}$) and $E = \cup E_k$, then $Q(E) = \sum_k Q(E_k)$.
I have done the following:

• $Q(\emptyset) = 0$ :

It holds that $\delta_{a_i}(M)=1$ if $a_i\in M$ and $\delta_{a_i}(M)=0$ if $a_i\notin M$.

Since the empty set cannot contain any element we have that $\delta_{a_i}(\emptyset)=0$, and so we get $\displaystyle{Q(\emptyset)=\sum_{i=1}^np_i\delta_{a_i}(\emptyset)=\sum_{i=1}^n\left (p_i\cdot 0\right )=0}$.
  • $Q(\Omega) = 1$ :

$\Omega$ is in this $M$, or not?

Since $(a_i)_{i\in \mathbb{N}}\subset M$ it follows that $a_i\in M$ for each $i\in \mathbb{N}$.

Therefore, we get $\displaystyle{Q(M)=\sum_{i=1}^np_i\delta_{a_i}(M)=\sum_{i=1}^n\left (p_i\cdot 1\right )=\sum_{i=1}^np_i=1}$.
  • $0 \le Q(A) \le 1$ for all $A\in \mathcal{F}$ :

Are the $A$'s in this case $(a_i)$ ?
  • $Q\left (\cup E_k\right ) = \sum_k Q(E_k)$ :

How can we show this property?

Let me add that the events $\{E_k\}$ are to be mutually exclusive so that they form a partition of $E$.

By definition, $Q(E) = \sum p_i \delta_{a_i}(E)$, and each $a_i$ belongs to most one of the $E_k$. Therefore $\delta_{a_i}(E) = \sum_k \delta_{a_i}(E_k)$. Hence $$Q(E) = \sum_i p_i\delta_{a_i}(E) = \sum_i p_i \sum_k \delta_{a_i}(E_k) = \sum_k \sum_i p_i\delta_{a_i}(E_k) =\sum_k Q(E_k)$$
To get $0 \le Q(A) \le 1$ for all $A\in \mathcal{F}$ (note the $A$'s are not $a_i$'s), use the fact that for all $A\in \mathcal{F}$, the $\delta_{a_i}(A)$ can only take values $0$ or $1$, and $\sum p_i = 1$.

Euge said:
Let me add that the events $\{E_k\}$ are to be mutually exclusive so that they form a partition of $E$.

By definition, $Q(E) = \sum p_i \delta_{a_i}(E)$, and each $a_i$ belongs to most one of the $E_k$. Therefore $\delta_{a_i}(E) = \sum_k \delta_{a_i}(E_k)$.
We have that if $\delta_{a_i}(E)=0$ then $a_i\notin E$ and so $a_i\notin E_k$ for all $k$. This means that $\delta_{a_i}(E_k)=0$ for all $k$.

If $\delta_{a_i}(E)=1$, it follows that $a_i\in E$. From that we have that $a_i\in E_{k_0}$ for a $k_0$ and $a_i\notin E_k$ for all $k\neq k_0$. In other words we have that $\delta_{a_i}(E_{k_0})=1$ and $\delta_{a_i}(E_k)=0$ for $k\neq k_0$.

In both cases we get that $\delta_{a_i}(E) = \sum_k \delta_{a_i}(E_k)$.

Is the justification correct? (Wondering)
Euge said:
Hence $$Q(E) = \sum_i p_i\delta_{a_i}(E) = \sum_i p_i \sum_k \delta_{a_i}(E_k) = \sum_k \sum_i p_i\delta_{a_i}(E_k) =\sum_k Q(E_k)$$
To get $0 \le Q(A) \le 1$ for all $A\in \mathcal{F}$ (note the $A$'s are not $a_i$'s), use the fact that for all $A\in \mathcal{F}$, the $\delta_{a_i}(A)$ can only take values $0$ or $1$, and $\sum p_i = 1$.

I understand! (Smile)
Euge said:
We have a measurable space $(\Omega, \mathcal{F})$ where $\Omega$ is a set and $\mathcal{F}$ is a sigma-field (or sigma-algebra) on $\Omega$. Also, we fix points $a_1,\ldots, a_n\in \Omega$, and let $p_1,\ldots p_n$ be positive numbers such that $\sum p_i = 1$. Then we consider the mapping $Q : \mathcal{F} \to [0, \infty)$ given by $Q = \sum p_i \delta_{a_i}$.

In this case we have that $M$ is a measure space. Does this mean that the definition of $M$ is $(\Omega, \mathcal{F})$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We have that if $\delta_{a_i}(E)=0$ then $a_i\notin E$ and so $a_i\notin E_k$ for all $k$. This means that $\delta_{a_i}(E_k)=0$ for all $k$.

If $\delta_{a_i}(E)=1$, it follows that $a_i\in E$. From that we have that $a_i\in E_{k_0}$ for a $k_0$ and $a_i\notin E_k$ for all $k\neq k_0$. In other words we have that $\delta_{a_i}(E_{k_0})=1$ and $\delta_{a_i}(E_k)=0$ for $k\neq k_0$.

In both cases we get that $\delta_{a_i}(E) = \sum_k \delta_{a_i}(E_k)$.

Is the justification correct? (Wondering)

Yes, that's correct!

mathmari said:
In this case, we have that $M$ is a measure space. Does this mean that the definition of $M$ is $(\Omega, \mathcal{F})$? (Wondering)

Usually, we say $M$ is a measurable space, which is a pair $(\Omega, \mathcal{F})$ where $\Omega$ is a set and $\mathcal{F}$ is a sigma-algebra on $\Omega$.

I understand! Thank you so much! (Yes)

1. What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of different outcomes or events occurring in a random experiment or process. It assigns a probability to each possible outcome, with the total probability adding up to 1.

2. What are the different types of probability distributions?

There are several types of probability distributions, including the normal distribution, binomial distribution, Poisson distribution, and exponential distribution. Each type of distribution is used to model different types of data or situations.

3. How is a probability distribution represented graphically?

A probability distribution can be represented graphically through a probability density function (PDF) or a cumulative distribution function (CDF). The PDF shows the probability of each possible outcome on a continuous scale, while the CDF shows the cumulative probability up to a certain point.

4. What is the difference between discrete and continuous probability distributions?

Discrete probability distributions are used for countable outcomes, such as the number of heads when flipping a coin, while continuous probability distributions are used for continuous outcomes, such as the height of individuals in a population. Discrete distributions are represented by probability mass functions (PMF), while continuous distributions are represented by probability density functions (PDF).

5. How is a probability distribution used in statistics?

Probability distributions are a fundamental concept in statistics and are used to make predictions and inferences about a population based on a sample. They are also used to calculate probabilities of certain events occurring, which can inform decision-making and risk assessment.