Probability , expectation, variance, cross-term vani

In summary, probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring and is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. Expectation is the predicted value of an outcome based on probability and is important for decision-making and risk assessment. Variance is a measure of how spread out the possible outcomes of a random variable are and is related to probability and expectation. Cross-term variance takes into account the relationship between multiple variables and is significant for understanding variability and identifying dependencies. Understanding probability and expectation is useful in real-world applications such as finance, insurance, statistics, engineering, and medicine.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

I have a variable ##s_i## with probability distribution ##w(s_i)##
##(\Delta(s_i))^2## denotes the variance ##=<(s-<s>)^2>=<s^2>-<s>^2##
I want to show ## \sum\limits_{i\neq j} <\Delta s_i> < \Delta s_j> =0 ##

where ## < > ## denote expectation

My book has:

## <\Delta s_i> =\int ds_i w(s_i)(s_i-<s_i>)=0##

I don't really understand this so the first term gives ##<s_i>## that's fine which would obviously cancel with a ##<s_i>## but isn't the second term ##E(<s_i>)## not ##<s_i>## so how do they cancel?

Many thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I don't really understand this so the first term gives ##<s_i>## that's fine which would obviously cancel with a ##<s_i>## but isn't the second term ##E(<s_i>)## not ##<s_i>## so how do they cancel?

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

I have a variable ##s_i## with probability distribution ##w(s_i)##
##(\Delta(s_i))^2## denotes the variance ##=<(s-<s>)^2>=<s^2>-<s>^2##
I want to show ## \sum\limits_{i\neq j} <\Delta s_i> < \Delta s_j> =0 ##

where ## < > ## denote expectation

My book has:

## <\Delta s_i> =\int ds_i w(s_i)(s_i-<s_i>)=0##

Many thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Many thanks in advance.

##\langle s_i \rangle## is just a number, so ##\int w(s_i) \langle s_i \rangle \, ds_i = \langle s_i \rangle \int w(s_i) \, ds_i##, and that last integral equals 1.

Likes binbagsss

1. What is probability and how is it calculated?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

2. What is expectation and why is it important?

Expectation is the predicted value of an outcome based on probability. It is important because it helps us make decisions and assess risk in various situations.

3. How is variance related to probability and expectation?

Variance is a measure of how spread out the possible outcomes of a random variable are. It is related to probability and expectation because it takes into account the likelihood of each outcome and their respective values.

4. What is cross-term variance and why is it significant?

Cross-term variance is a type of variance that takes into account the relationship between two or more variables. It is significant because it provides a more comprehensive understanding of the variability in a system and can help identify any dependencies between variables.

5. How can understanding probability and expectation be useful in real-world applications?

Understanding probability and expectation is useful in many real-world applications, such as finance and insurance, where risk assessment and decision-making are crucial. It is also important in fields such as statistics, engineering, and medicine, where predicting outcomes and analyzing data is essential.