Probability for a non-hermitian hamiltonian

In summary, the total probability for finding a system/particle decreases exponentially as e(-2*ImV*t)/ħ.
shinobi20

Homework Statement

Given a non-hermitian hamiltonian with V = (Re)V -i(Im)V. By deriving the conservation of probability, it can be shown that the total probability of finding a system/particle decreases exponentially as e(-2*ImV*t)/ħ

Homework Equations

Schrodinger Eqn, conservation of probability (∂P/∂t = -∇⋅j), P is the probability and j is the probability current density, Re V is the real part of V while I am V is the imaginary part of V

The Attempt at a Solution

It is known that ∫∫∫ P d3r = constant, that is ,the total probability for finding the particle should be constant throughout the universe.

iħ ∂ψ/∂t = -ħ2/2m ∇2ψ + Vψ = -ħ2/2m ∇2ψ + (Re)Vψ -i(Im)Vψ
By taking the complex conjugate, we have
-iħ ∂ψ*/∂t = -ħ2/2m ∇2ψ* +V*ψ* = -ħ2/2m ∇2ψ* + (Re)Vψ* +i(Im)Vψ*
By multiplying by ψ* the first equation and by ψ the second equation then subtracting the second from the first, we have
iħ ∂(ψψ*)/∂t = -ħ2/2m (ψ*∇2ψ-ψ∇2ψ*) - 2i (Im)V ψψ* = -∇⋅j - 2i (Im)V ψψ*

I don't know where to go already from here. Any suggestions or hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use the definition of total probability in quantum mechanics: ##\langle \psi(t) | \psi(t) \rangle##. Now ##|\psi(t)\rangle = e^{-iVt/\hbar} |\psi(0)\rangle##. What will you get then when calculating ##\langle \psi(t) | \psi(t) \rangle##?

blue_leaf77 said:
Just use the definition of total probability in quantum mechanics: ##\langle \psi(t) | \psi(t) \rangle##. Now ##|\psi(t)\rangle = e^{-iVt} |\psi(0)\rangle##. What will you get then when calculating ##\langle \psi(t) | \psi(t) \rangle##?
I will get ⟨ψ(t)|ψ(t)⟩ = ⟨ψ(0)|ψ(0)⟩ but what does this tell me? Also, I need to use the conservation of probability equation to derive the question.

shinobi20 said:
I will get ⟨ψ(t)|ψ(t)⟩ = ⟨ψ(0)|ψ(0)⟩ but what does this tell me?
No, you won't because in this problem ##V## is not Hermitian. Try plugging in ##V = \textrm{Re}[V] - i \textrm{Im}[V]##.

blue_leaf77 said:
No, you won't because in this problem ##V## is not Hermitian. Try plugging in ##V = \textrm{Re}[V] - i \textrm{Im}[V]##.
Sorry, I forgot that it is not hermitian, so we will get e2i(Im)Vt

It will be ##\langle \psi(0) |e^{-i\textrm{Im}[V]t/\hbar}| \psi(0) \rangle##, at this point we should know how ##\textrm{Im}[V]## acts on ##| \psi(0) \rangle##, i.e. whether it is a function of space at all. But since the question asks you to prove that "decreases exponentially as e(-2*ImV*t)/ħ", I think it is implied that ##\textrm{Im}[V]## is a constant and thus the sandwiched exponential operator may be taken out.

Last edited:
blue_leaf77 said:
It will be ##\langle \psi(0) |e^{-i\textrm{Im}[V]t/\hbar}| \psi(0) \rangle##, at this point we should how ##\textrm{Im}[V]## acts on ##| \psi(0) \rangle##, i.e. whether it is a function of space at all. But since the question asks you to prove that "decreases exponentially as e(-2*ImV*t)/ħ", I think it is implied that ##\textrm{Im}[V]## is a constant and thus the sandwiched exponential operator may be taken out.
Oh! I did something wrong when taking the complex conjugate of V, but anyways, you really cleared everything. Thanks!

Related to Probability for a non-hermitian hamiltonian

1. What is a non-hermitian Hamiltonian?

A non-hermitian Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the time evolution of a quantum system. It is non-hermitian because it does not satisfy the condition of Hermiticity, meaning the operator is not equal to its own conjugate transpose.

2. How does probability factor into a non-hermitian Hamiltonian?

In a non-hermitian Hamiltonian, the total probability of a system is not conserved. This is because the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian are complex numbers, and the norm of a complex number is not conserved under time evolution. Instead, the probability is described by a non-unitary evolution.

3. What is the significance of studying probability for non-hermitian Hamiltonians?

Studying probability for non-hermitian Hamiltonians is important for understanding the behavior of open quantum systems, which are systems that can exchange energy, matter, or information with their surroundings. Non-hermitian Hamiltonians are often used to model these systems, and understanding their probability distributions can provide insights into their dynamics.

4. Are there any applications of probability for non-hermitian Hamiltonians?

Yes, there are several applications of probability for non-hermitian Hamiltonians in various fields such as quantum optics, quantum information theory, and mesoscopic physics. These include studying the behavior of open quantum systems, quantum transport, and quantum state engineering.

5. What are some challenges in studying probability for non-hermitian Hamiltonians?

One of the main challenges is that the standard methods for calculating probabilities in quantum mechanics, such as the Born rule, do not apply to non-hermitian Hamiltonians. New approaches and techniques have been developed to handle the non-unitary evolution of these systems. Additionally, the interpretation of probabilities in non-hermitian Hamiltonians can be more complex and may require a different understanding of the concept of probability itself.