1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability for a non-hermitian hamiltonian

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a non-hermitian hamiltonian with V = (Re)V -i(Im)V. By deriving the conservation of probability, it can be shown that the total probability of finding a system/particle decreases exponentially as e(-2*ImV*t)/ħ

2. Relevant equations
    Schrodinger Eqn, conservation of probability (∂P/∂t = -∇⋅j), P is the probability and j is the probability current density, Re V is the real part of V while Im V is the imaginary part of V

3. The attempt at a solution
    It is known that ∫∫∫ P d3r = constant, that is ,the total probability for finding the particle should be constant throughout the universe.

iħ ∂ψ/∂t = -ħ2/2m ∇2ψ + Vψ = -ħ2/2m ∇2ψ + (Re)Vψ -i(Im)Vψ
    By taking the complex conjugate, we have
    -iħ ∂ψ*/∂t = -ħ2/2m ∇2ψ* +V*ψ* = -ħ2/2m ∇2ψ* + (Re)Vψ* +i(Im)Vψ*
    By multiplying by ψ* the first equation and by ψ the second equation then subtracting the second from the first, we have
    iħ ∂(ψψ*)/∂t = -ħ2/2m (ψ*∇2ψ-ψ∇2ψ*) - 2i (Im)V ψψ* = -∇⋅j - 2i (Im)V ψψ*

I don't know where to go already from here. Any suggestions or hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just use the definition of total probability in quantum mechanics: ##\langle \psi(t) | \psi(t) \rangle##. Now ##|\psi(t)\rangle = e^{-iVt/\hbar} |\psi(0)\rangle##. What will you get then when calculating ##\langle \psi(t) | \psi(t) \rangle##?

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3
    I will get ⟨ψ(t)|ψ(t)⟩ = ⟨ψ(0)|ψ(0)⟩ but what does this tell me? Also, I need to use the conservation of probability equation to derive the question.

5. Oct 25, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you won't because in this problem ##V## is not Hermitian. Try plugging in ##V = \textrm{Re}[V] - i \textrm{Im}[V]##.

6. Oct 25, 2015 #5
    Sorry, I forgot that it is not hermitian, so we will get e2i(Im)Vt

7. Oct 25, 2015 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It will be ##\langle \psi(0) |e^{-i\textrm{Im}[V]t/\hbar}| \psi(0) \rangle##, at this point we should know how ##\textrm{Im}[V]## acts on ##| \psi(0) \rangle##, i.e. whether it is a function of space at all. But since the question asks you to prove that "decreases exponentially as e(-2*ImV*t)/ħ", I think it is implied that ##\textrm{Im}[V]## is a constant and thus the sandwiched exponential operator may be taken out.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  8. Oct 25, 2015 #7
    Oh! I did something wrong when taking the complex conjugate of V, but anyways, you really cleared everything. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted