Probability function of a discrete random variable

In summary, the probability function for X, the number of cards turned before the ace is turned over, is p(x)=1/10 for x=0,1,...,9. This is calculated by taking the probability of the first card being the ace (1/10) and multiplying it by the probability of the remaining cards not being the ace (9/10 for the first card, 8/9 for the second, etc.).
stevecallaway

Homework Statement

10 face cards are face down in a row on a table. Exactly one of them is an ace. You turn the cards over one at a time, moving from left to right. Let X be the random variable for the number of cards turned before the ace is turned over. What is the probability function for X?

Homework Equations

I know the answer is p(x)=1/10 x=0,1,...,9

The Attempt at a Solution

The first card's probability of being an ace is 1/10. The second card is 1/9. The third card is 1/8. etc... I don't understand where my thinking is flawed. Starting from left to right, you are drawing without replacement. If the first card isn't an ace, you know it's one of the last nine. So from that point on, it's 1 out of 9. etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
stevecallaway said:

Homework Statement

10 face cards are face down in a row on a table. Exactly one of them is an ace. You turn the cards over one at a time, moving from left to right. Let X be the random variable for the number of cards turned before the ace is turned over. What is the probability function for X?

Homework Equations

I know the answer is p(x)=1/10 x=0,1,...,9

The Attempt at a Solution

The first card's probability of being an ace is 1/10. The second card is 1/9. The third card is 1/8. etc... I don't understand where my thinking is flawed. Starting from left to right, you are drawing without replacement. If the first card isn't an ace, you know it's one of the last nine. So from that point on, it's 1 out of 9. etc...

The probability that the first card turned is the ace is 1/10 as you know. For the second card turned to be the ace, you need the first to fail (probability 9/10) and the second to succeed (probability 1/9) giving P(X=1) = 9/10*1/9. Continue this line of reasoning.

What is a probability function of a discrete random variable?

A probability function of a discrete random variable is a mathematical function that assigns probabilities to all possible values of a discrete random variable. It represents the likelihood of each possible outcome occurring.

What is a discrete random variable?

A discrete random variable is a type of random variable that can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of distinct values. Examples include the number of children in a family or the number of times a coin lands on heads in a series of flips.

What are the properties of a probability function?

The properties of a probability function include:

• The sum of all probabilities must equal 1.
  • The probability of any outcome must be between 0 and 1.
  • The probabilities of all possible outcomes must be non-negative.

How is a probability function different from a probability distribution?

A probability function is a mathematical function that assigns probabilities to all possible values of a random variable, while a probability distribution is a function that describes the probabilities of the different outcomes of a random variable.

What is the relationship between a probability function and a cumulative distribution function?

The cumulative distribution function (CDF) is the sum of all probabilities up to a certain value of a random variable. It is closely related to the probability function, as the CDF can be derived from the probability function by adding up the probabilities of all values up to a given point.