Can I Justify This Yes/No Question?

• Thread starter IntegrateMe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a yes/no question about justifying an answer rather than getting it correct. The normal distribution shape is mentioned as being symmetric about 0, leading to the general answer of yes. However, the answer may differ depending on what p(x) represents, such as a probability density function or cumulative distribution function.
IntegrateMe
This is a yes/no question. Though I feel that being able to justify it is more important than getting the answer correct. Can anyone help me figure this one out?

Physics news on Phys.org

How about considering the normal distribution shape. There it is symmetric about 0. So in general the answer is yes.

IntegrateMe said:
This is a yes/no question. Though I feel that being able to justify it is more important than getting the answer correct. Can anyone help me figure this one out?

It all depends on what p(x) is supposed to mean. (i) Is it a probability density function of a continuous random variable? (ii) Is it a probability mass function of a discrete random variable defined on the integers? (iii) Is it a cumulative distribution function?

In both (i) and (ii) the answer is: yes in some examples and no in other examples (although getting a "no" for a continuous random variable involves using a discontinuous density function with jumps at x = 10 and at x = 20, and supposing the density to be actually give a finite value at those two points---to which some might object). In (iii) the answer is a definite no: there are no other values between 10 and 20.

RGV

Last edited:

1. Can a Yes/No question be justified scientifically?

Yes, a Yes/No question can be justified scientifically by conducting research and collecting data to support the answer.

2. How can I determine if a Yes/No question is valid?

A Yes/No question is valid if it can be answered with a definitive yes or no, and if it is relevant to the topic being studied.

3. Is it necessary to provide evidence to justify a Yes/No question?

Yes, providing evidence for a Yes/No question is important to support the answer and increase the validity of the question.

4. Can a Yes/No question be biased?

Yes, a Yes/No question can be biased if it is worded in a way that leads the respondent to answer in a certain way, or if the question is based on personal beliefs or opinions.

5. How can I ensure that my Yes/No question is unbiased?

To ensure an unbiased Yes/No question, it is important to use neutral language and avoid leading or loaded questions that may influence the respondent's answer. It is also helpful to have multiple people review the question to identify any potential biases.