1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability function p(x) if p(10) = p(20), do any x values lie between 10 and 20?

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    This is a yes/no question. Though I feel that being able to justify it is more important than getting the answer correct. Can anyone help me figure this one out?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    Re: Probability function p(x)...if p(10) = p(20), do any x values lie between 10 and

How about considering the normal distribution shape. There it is symmetric about 0. So in general the answer is yes.

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Probability function p(x)...if p(10) = p(20), do any x values lie between 10 and

It all depends on what p(x) is supposed to mean. (i) Is it a probability density function of a continuous random variable? (ii) Is it a probability mass function of a discrete random variable defined on the integers? (iii) Is it a cumulative distribution function?

In both (i) and (ii) the answer is: yes in some examples and no in other examples (although getting a "no" for a continuous random variable involves using a discontinuous density function with jumps at x = 10 and at x = 20, and supposing the density to be actually give a finite value at those two points---to which some might object). In (iii) the answer is a definite no: there are no other values between 10 and 20.

RGV

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook