1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability generating function

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A random variable X has the generating function
    f(z) = 1 / (2-z)^2
    Find E(X) and Var(X).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Would anyone explain in simpler terms the notion of the generating function, such that I may be able to solve problems? All I have found were proofs, but nothing of practical use.

Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2
    Thank you very much, LC!

I imagine that there isn't any significant difference between MGF and PGF (probability), the latter being a special application of the first?!
    If so, I still have a couple of questions:
    1) Do the formulae apply to all sorts of probability distributions/densities?
    2) How do I calculate the variance (formula-wise) for these generating functions (which I understand are not really functions but series of terms)?

Thank you very much in advance.

4. Nov 28, 2009 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I posted that reply quickly as I was about to leave for a movie and hadn't noticed you were asking about a probability generating function instead of moment generating function. I deleted the post but apparently you saw it before I deleted it. PGF's are defined for non-negative integer valued random variables. For a PGF PX(z),

E(X) = P'X(1) and
    Var(X) = P''X(1) + P'X(1) - (P'X(1))2

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  5. Nov 29, 2009 #4
    Thank you very much, LC!
    I hope I find you around again when I cry for help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook