1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability given a cumlative funcion

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    First determine the distribution function F(x)

f(x)= x/16 for 0<x<4
    1/2-x/16 for 4[tex]\leq[/tex]x<8
    0 for elsewhere

So I determined this & came up with the function (which is correct)

F(x)= 0 for x<o
    x^2/32 for 0<x<4
    x/2-x^2/32-1 for 4[tex]\leq[/tex]x<8
    1 for x[tex]\geq[/tex]8

Then there is the question P(X>10)

Now, my thoughts is that from the original problem, the probability that x is greater than 8 is zero, & therefore, it should be zero... But, I got the question wrong & the professor stated that P(X>10) is 1. Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but she explained it that since it doesn't have an upper bound, it must be 1. Any ideas here? We had a homework question that stated a similar P(11<x<12) but here, it was zero because she stated it was bounded outside of the range.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm with you. P(X>10) is 0. P(X<10) is 1. I don't see how you could interpret the problem otherwise.

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    Do you think given that it is a big X & not a little x has anything to do with it? I could see if it was F(X>10) perhaps... the notation always ends up getting the best of me.

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Could you state the problem exactly it is given? Yes, P(x> 10) is 0 but you titled this "cumulative" function and have F(x)= 1 for [itex]x\ge 8[/itex].

6. Mar 2, 2008 #5
    It is stated "Determine the distribution function, F(x) of the random variable X whose probability density is..." what I outlined first.

It then says "Use the information about F(x) in the previous question to determine" (which is the cumulative function I outlined)
    a) P(X<6) which I did & showed the work 6/2-36/32-1 = 7/8 (which was correct)
    b) P(X>10) which I showed the work 1-1=0 (which was marked wrong)
    in class she specifically said b) was suppose to be 1. 1-0=1

7. Mar 2, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think this is all a misunderstanding. If P(X<6) is 7/8 then P(X>10) CANNOT be 1. They add to a number larger than 1 and they are mutually exclusive. That would just plain be silly. Please ask your teacher to explain. I can't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?