Probability of 4 balls in trash can

In summary, there are two not empty bins, so the probability is 0.63 that 8 of the 10 bins will be empty.
Dell
4 balls are placed randomly into 10 bins,
what is the probability that exactly 8 of the bins will be empty??

first i need to find out how many ways i can place the balls into the bins --> 10*10*10*10=10000

now i need to find how many ways the balls can be placed so that there are 8 empty bins- or in other words that there are 2 not empty bins

so i choose 2 random bins out of the 10
10C2 = 45

now i need to place the 4 balls
1, 3
2, 2
3, 1

all in all 3 ways

45*3/10000=0.0135,,

the correct answer is 0.63

Physics news on Phys.org

sorry 0.063, but still not my answer

Your choice of whether the balls are distinguishable or indistinguishable is inconsistent. You compute the total number of possibilities [tex]10^4[/tex] as if the balls are distinguishable, so that the sample space consists of a choice of bin for each ball, and a sample point can be represented by an ordered quadruple of integers between 1 and 10. However, when you get to describing possible arrangements for the balls, you count only three possible distributions, taking into account only the number of balls in each chosen bin, and not their identity; this assumes the balls are indistinguishable. You can get the right answer for the probability with either choice (distinguishable or indistinguishable balls), but you must be consistent and use the same choice to compute the size of the sample space and the number of successful sample points.

You also make a mistake by considering the distributions (1, 3), (2, 2), and (3, 1) to be equiprobable; they are not, as you can see most clearly by considering distinguishable balls.

to tell you the truth, I am not sure what you mean,

i think that the balls are indistinguishable, but i still have 10 options to place each one don't i? otherwise how would i find the sample space?

i am not very good at this, and this question is driving me crazy.

If the balls are indistinguishable, then there are fewer than [tex]10^4[/tex] points in the sample space, because "put the first three balls in bin 1, the fourth in bin 2" and "put the first ball in bin 2, the last three in bin 1" are the same sample point. You should probably proceed assuming the balls are distinguishable, because that makes the counting easier, if you don't know the trick for indistinguishable balls.

okay, so then i have 4 options right?

1,3 3,1 2,2 2,2

but that still won't give me the right answer

10c2*4/10^4=0.018

1. What is the probability of getting 4 balls in the trash can at once?

The probability of getting 4 balls in the trash can at once depends on the number of balls and the size of the trash can. For example, if there are 10 balls and the trash can can hold 20 balls, the probability would be 1/10 or 10%. However, if there are only 5 balls and the trash can can hold 10 balls, the probability would be 1/5 or 20%. Essentially, the probability can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes (4 balls in the trash can) by the total number of possible outcomes.

2. Can the probability of getting 4 balls in the trash can be greater than 1?

No, the probability of an event can never be greater than 1. This would mean that the event is certain to occur, which is not possible. The highest probability an event can have is 1 or 100%, which means the event is guaranteed to occur.

3. How does the size of the trash can affect the probability of getting 4 balls in?

The size of the trash can directly affects the probability of getting 4 balls in. The larger the trash can, the lower the probability. This is because there are more possible outcomes with a larger trash can, making it less likely for 4 balls to be selected at once. On the other hand, a smaller trash can would have fewer possible outcomes, increasing the probability of getting 4 balls in.

4. Is there a way to increase the probability of getting 4 balls in the trash can?

Yes, there are a few ways to increase the probability of getting 4 balls in the trash can. One way is to decrease the number of total balls in the scenario. This would decrease the number of possible outcomes and increase the probability. Another way is to increase the size of the trash can. This would also decrease the number of possible outcomes and increase the probability. However, it is important to note that the probability can never be greater than 1.

5. Can the probability of getting 4 balls in the trash can change over time?

Yes, the probability of getting 4 balls in the trash can can change over time. This can happen if the number of balls or the size of the trash can changes. For example, if the number of balls decreases, the probability would increase. Similarly, if the size of the trash can decreases, the probability would also increase. It is important to recalculate the probability whenever there are changes in the scenario.