1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of current flow through circuit

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    The probability of the closing of the ith relay in the circuits shown is given by p_i. Let p_1 = 0.9, p_2 = 0.6, p_3 = 0.1, p_4 = 0.7, p_5 = 0.2. If all relays function independently. what is the probability that a current flows between A and B for the respective circuits?

https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_course_files/Math-3355-01-Fall2009/tmp/gif/HW4-prob1-ur_pb_4_14.gif

3. The attempt at a solution

I am working on the circuit in part B. I broke down the problem into 4 events in which the current could flow through the circuit. I labeled them A, B, C and D. I know that the problem is just P(AUBUCUD), but I do not know how to do a union for 4 events. Can someone please help?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Oct 12, 2009 #3
    - That is what I tried using actually, but I guess I'm not quite sure how to set up the formula once you get past 3 events.

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try just using a chain of conditional probabilities. Let:
    C = event that current flows
    s1 = event switch 1 is closed
    s2 = event switch 2 is closed etc.

So you could start like this:

P(C) = P(C|s1)P(s1) + P(C|s2)P(s2) = P(C|s1)(.9) + P(C|s2)(.6)

Now to calculate P(C|s1) condition it on s3 and s4 and fill in what you know. Keep going like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook