Probability of current flow through circuit

In summary, the probability of current flowing between A and B in the given circuit is equal to the sum of the probabilities of each event that allows current to flow (A, B, C, and D), calculated using the inclusion-exclusion principle and conditional probabilities. The individual probabilities for each event are determined by the given probabilities for each relay (p1 = 0.9, p2 = 0.6, p3 = 0.1, p4 = 0.7, p5 = 0.2) and the assumption that the relays function independently.
snoggerT
The probability of the closing of the ith relay in the circuits shown is given by p_i. Let p_1 = 0.9, p_2 = 0.6, p_3 = 0.1, p_4 = 0.7, p_5 = 0.2. If all relays function independently. what is the probability that a current flows between A and B for the respective circuits?

https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_course_files/Math-3355-01-Fall2009/tmp/gif/HW4-prob1-ur_pb_4_14.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working on the circuit in part B. I broke down the problem into 4 events in which the current could flow through the circuit. I labeled them A, B, C and D. I know that the problem is just P(AUBUCUD), but I do not know how to do a union for 4 events. Can someone please help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
LCKurtz said:
You need the inclusion-exclusion principle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclusion-exclusion_principle

and scroll down the "In Probability" section.

- That is what I tried using actually, but I guess I'm not quite sure how to set up the formula once you get past 3 events.

Try just using a chain of conditional probabilities. Let:
C = event that current flows
s1 = event switch 1 is closed
s2 = event switch 2 is closed etc.

So you could start like this:

P(C) = P(C|s1)P(s1) + P(C|s2)P(s2) = P(C|s1)(.9) + P(C|s2)(.6)

Now to calculate P(C|s1) condition it on s3 and s4 and fill in what you know. Keep going like that.

1. What is the probability of current flow through a circuit?

The probability of current flow through a circuit is determined by a variety of factors, including the resistance and voltage of the circuit components, as well as the type of circuit (series or parallel). It can be calculated using Ohm's Law and the laws of probability.

2. How does the resistance of a circuit affect the probability of current flow?

The resistance of a circuit is directly proportional to the probability of current flow. This means that as the resistance increases, the probability of current flow decreases. This is because higher resistance impedes the flow of current, making it less likely for it to pass through the circuit.

3. Can the probability of current flow through a circuit be 100%?

No, the probability of current flow through a circuit can never be 100%. This is because there will always be some resistance present in a circuit, even if it is very small. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the probability of current flow.

4. How does the type of circuit (series or parallel) impact the probability of current flow?

The type of circuit does impact the probability of current flow. In a series circuit, the probability of current flow is equal to the probability of current flow through each individual component. In a parallel circuit, the total probability of current flow is equal to the sum of the probabilities of current flow through each branch of the circuit.

5. Can the probability of current flow through a circuit be calculated?

Yes, the probability of current flow through a circuit can be calculated using mathematical equations, such as Ohm's Law and the laws of probability. However, it is important to note that these calculations are based on theoretical assumptions and may not always accurately reflect the actual probability of current flow in a real-world circuit.