Proving p(A|B)=p(A|B'): A Step-By-Step Guide

In summary, to prove that P(A|B') = P(A|B), A and B must be independent events. Otherwise, the condition may or may not hold.
chopasticks
how can i proof that >>>>>> p(A | B') = p(A | B)
well i tried but i think there is a hole in the solution T.T
if we said that
p(A|B)=p(A&B)/p(B)

p(A|B')= p(A&B')/p(b')

= p(A) - p(A&B)/1-p(B)

so0o0o how can i complete it ??

Physics news on Phys.org
chopasticks said:
how can i proof that >>>>>> p(A | B') = p(A | B)

In general, you can't prove that.

That condition holds ONLY for independent events.

So, in a particular case, you may demonstrate whether that condition holds or not.

If it holds, A and B are independent events, if not, A and B are not independent events.

sorry my bad ,, i forgot to mention that A,B are independent

In that case, by definition of "independent", P(A|B)= P(A)= P(A|B').

1. What is p(A|B)?

p(A|B) is a conditional probability that measures the likelihood of event A occurring given that event B has already occurred. It is typically represented as p(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B).

2. What does p(A|B) = p(A|B') mean?

This statement means that the conditional probability of event A occurring given that event B has occurred is equal to the conditional probability of event A occurring given that event B has not occurred. In other words, the outcome of event B has no effect on the likelihood of event A occurring.

3. What does the notation p(A|B) = p(A|B') tell us about the relationship between events A and B?

This notation indicates that events A and B are statistically independent, meaning that the occurrence of one event does not affect the likelihood of the other event occurring. In other words, the probability of event A remains the same regardless of the occurrence of event B.

4. How can we prove that p(A|B) = p(A|B')?

There are multiple ways to prove this equality, but one method is to use the definition of conditional probability and basic algebra. First, we can express p(A|B) and p(A|B') in terms of joint probabilities, P(A and B) and P(A and B'), respectively. Then, we can manipulate the equations to show that they are equal. For a step-by-step guide, you can refer to the article "Proving p(A|B)=p(A|B'): A Step-By-Step Guide."

5. What is the significance of p(A|B) = p(A|B') in scientific research?

This relationship is important in understanding the potential causal relationship between two events. If p(A|B) = p(A|B'), it suggests that event B does not have a direct influence on event A, and any observed correlation between the two events may be due to chance rather than a causal relationship. This is a crucial consideration in many scientific studies and experiments.