1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability question

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    In a sample space Z = {a, b, c} is the probability distribution of the numbers x, y, 0.3 (in that order). What should be they that any {a, b} and {a, c} are independent?

maybe i need a suggestion if the type i want to use down is correcty or not cuz i stucked...

I know that for A1,A2,An we have this type : P(A1andA2and....andAn)=P(A1)P(A2).....P(An) but how i can use this if i have sets?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need a to be independent of b and c, but b and c need not be independent of each other?

What is the definition of "independent" in this context? (Hint: in terms of probabilities.)
    You have:
    ... you don't have to apply the relation to whole sets, the A1,A2,... form a set {A1, A2, ...}.

if A and B are independent, then P(A)+P(B)=?

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If I'm interpreting this correctly, you need to find x and y such that P[f∈{a,b}|f∈{a,c}] = P[f∈{a,b}]. Is that it?

5. Mar 1, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well if you are interpreting it correctly - then how would the relation P[f∈{a,b}|f∈{a,c}] = P[f∈{a,b}] possibly hold? After all, the two sets have a member in common.

It boils down to how you read this bit:
    What should be they that any {a, b} and {a, c} are independent?
    ... which is "they" and what is "independent" of what?

Presumably "they" is x and y.
    "{a,b} is independent", then I'd read that as outcome a is independent of outcome b... I don't think that {a,b} can be independent of {a,c} since they both contain a.

I read the question as saying that {a,b,c} may or may not not be independent, but {a,b} and {a,c} are.
    Given that P(c)=0.3, what is P(a) and P(b)?

However: you are closer to the course than I am so you may have an extra insight.

6. Mar 1, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is exactly one setting of x and y that makes it true.
    Aren't a, b and c atomic events? If so, they are therefore mutually exclusive, not independent. In probability space terms, a set of possible outcomes, like {a, b} constitutes a (nonatomic) event, and you want the events {a, b}, {a, c} to be independent.

7. Mar 2, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Because Z is a sample space? That would make sense OK.
    I still think the phrasing is sloppy... which is why I'm uncertain about how I was reading the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted