Probability that current could pass through

So you are correct and your friends are wrong.In summary, the conversation is about determining the probability of current flowing from left to right in a circuit with five independent switches, each with a probability of p. The conversation outlines two cases and their corresponding probabilities, and also discusses a disagreement about the final simplified probability. The summary concludes that the method proposed by the speaker is correct, and their friends are mistaken in their calculations.
pp123123
Hi guys. Here's the problem.View attachment 1981
I need to determine the probability that the current could go from left to right given that there is a probability of p for each independent switch named a,b,c,d and e.

I have tried to solve this but I have no idea which part I am getting off the right track. Here is what I am trying to do.

Case I: Assume Switch E is closed so I have a probability of
P((AB) or (CD))=P(AB)+P(CD)-P(AB and CD)=2p^2-p^4

Case II: Assume Switch E is opened so I have a probability of
P((A or C) and (B or D))=(P(A)+P(C)-P(AC))(P(B)+P(D)-P(BD))=(2p-p^2)^2

so overall probability is (1-p)(2p^2-p^4)+p(2p-p^2)^2 which could be simplified to 2p^5-5p^4+2p^3+2p^2

however some friends of mine told be that it should be p^5-5p^4+2p^3+2p^2. I hope to know what's wrong in my calculation. Thanksss!

Attachments

• mathhelp.jpg
    mathhelp.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 52
Mathematics news on Phys.org
pp123123 said:
Hi guys. Here's the problem.View attachment 1981
I need to determine the probability that the current could go from left to right given that there is a probability of p for each independent switch named a,b,c,d and e.

I have tried to solve this but I have no idea which part I am getting off the right track. Here is what I am trying to do.

Case I: Assume Switch E is closed so I have a probability of
P((AB) or (CD))=P(AB)+P(CD)-P(AB and CD)=2p^2-p^4

Case II: Assume Switch E is opened so I have a probability of
P((A or C) and (B or D))=(P(A)+P(C)-P(AC))(P(B)+P(D)-P(BD))=(2p-p^2)^2

so overall probability is (1-p)(2p^2-p^4)+p(2p-p^2)^2 which could be simplified to 2p^5-5p^4+2p^3+2p^2

however some friends of mine told be that it should be p^5-5p^4+2p^3+2p^2. I hope to know what's wrong in my calculation. Thanksss!
Hi pp123123, and welcome to MHB! Short story: you are right and your friends are wrong.

Longer explanation: Your method is correct. Another (more laborious) way to do the calculation is to count the number of open switches.

If all five switches are on then the current gets through. Probability of this is $p^5$.

There are five ways in which four switches can be on, and the current gets through in each case. Probability here is $5p^4(1-p)$.

There are ten ways in which three switches can be on, and the current gets through in eight of these cases. (The only ways in which it cannot get through is if both of the switches on the left part of the circuit, or both of the switches on the right part of the circuit, are off.) Probability here is $8p^3(1-p)^2$.

There are ten ways in which two switches can be on, and the current gets through in two of these cases. (The only ways in which it can get through is if both of the switches on the upper part of the circuit, or both of the switches on the lower part of the circuit, are on.) Probability here is $2p^2(1-p)^3$.

If only one switch, or none at all, is open, then the current cannot get through.

Thus the overall probability is $p^5 + 5p^4(1-p) + 8p^3(1-p)^2 + 2p^2(1-p)^3$. When you multiply out the brackets, this simplifies to $2p^5-5p^4+2p^3+2p^2$.

Related to Probability that current could pass through

What is the definition of probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

What is the relationship between current and probability?

The probability that current could pass through a certain material or circuit is dependent on the properties of the material or circuit, such as its resistance and conductivity. Higher resistance or lower conductivity will decrease the probability of current passing through.

How is probability calculated for current passing through a circuit?

The probability of current passing through a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R), or I = V/R. This equation can be used to determine the probability of current passing through a circuit with a known voltage and resistance.

What factors affect the probability of current passing through a material?

The probability of current passing through a material can be affected by various factors such as the material's conductivity, temperature, and length. Other factors, such as the presence of impurities or defects in the material, can also impact the probability of current passing through.

How can probability be increased for current passing through a material?

To increase the probability of current passing through a material, the material's properties can be manipulated. For example, increasing the material's conductivity or reducing its resistance can increase the probability of current passing through. Additionally, using a higher voltage or applying pressure to the material can also increase the probability of current passing through.