Probability theory, probability space, statistics

In summary: So, to find out what ##E_\beta## is, you just need to enumerate all the possible sequences of that form.
Sarina3003

Homework Statement

Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fi431%2Fyenchuong98%2F8D572899-F073-4B9B-9934-CF93A4AA2776.jpg

Homework Equations

All needed are in the picture above (i hope so)

The Attempt at a Solution

to me it is extremely difficult because it is so complicated with many notations. Also, I actually don't know how to read the question properly to answer it
Is E(beta) is the event where we get even number of elements Beta ? I hope i get this point right. Otherwise, i have no idea what E means here.
One more point i can say is that the given pmf is Geometric distribution. My problem is i do not know how to start the question

Please help me to clarify it and answer any part that you can. You don't have to answer all of them or be so specific but please give me as much explanation as possible until you think that you give me enough clues to proceed with the subsequent questions.

Attachments

• Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fi431%2Fyenchuong98%2F8D572899-F073-4B9B-9934-CF93A4AA2776.jpg
    Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fi431%2Fyenchuong98%2F8D572899-F073-4B9B-9934-CF93A4AA2776.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,064
Physics news on Phys.org
Sarina3003 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 223980

Homework Equations

All needed are in the picture above (i hope so)

The Attempt at a Solution

to me it is extremely difficult because it is so complicated with many notations. Also, I actually don't know how to read the question properly to answer it
Is E(beta) is the event where we get even number of elements Beta ? I hope i get this point right. Otherwise, i have no idea what E means here.
One more point i can say is that the given pmf is Geometric distribution. My problem is i do not know how to start the question

Please help me to clarify it and answer any part that you can. You don't have to answer all of them or be so specific but please give me as much explanation as possible until you think that you give me enough clues to proceed with the subsequent questions.

The question tells you exactly what ##E_\beta## means, and it even gives you an example. It says "For example, with ##\beta = (0,1,1,0),## ##E_\beta## consists of all sequences of the form ##(0,1,1,0,\alpha_5, \alpha_6, \ldots )##." In other words, for any finite string ##\beta## of 0s and 1s, ##E_\beta## consists of all those infinite sequences of 0s and 1s that start with the string ##\beta##.

Likes Sarina3003

Related to Probability theory, probability space, statistics

1. What is probability theory?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random events and their likelihood of occurrence. It provides a framework for understanding and quantifying uncertainty in various situations.

2. What is a probability space?

A probability space is a mathematical construct that consists of a sample space, a set of all possible outcomes of a random experiment, and a probability measure, which assigns a numerical value to each event in the sample space.

3. How is probability theory applied in real life?

Probability theory has many real-life applications, such as in predicting the outcome of games, assessing risks in insurance and finance, and making decisions based on uncertain information.

4. What is the difference between probability theory and statistics?

Probability theory deals with the theoretical aspects of random events and their likelihood, while statistics involves the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data to make predictions and decisions.

5. Can probability be calculated for all events?

No, the concept of probability only applies to events that have some level of uncertainty or randomness. Events that are certain to occur or impossible to occur do not have a meaningful probability.