Probability two people wear the same shirt

• Thread starter Guy Incognito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the birthday problem and applies it to the situation of three people showing up to work wearing the same shirt. It is noted that in the shirt problem, the sample space is different for each person as they are choosing from their own set of shirts. The probability of at least two people showing up with the same shirt is compared to the birthday problem. It is also mentioned that without knowing what shirts everyone owns, it is difficult to analyze the situation. Additionally, the speaker shares a personal experience in a different industry where a similar coincidence occurred.
Guy Incognito
So a couple days ago three people all showed up to work wearing the same shirt. At first I thought this was just like the birthday problem, the probability at least 2 people in a room have the same birthday, but when I think more about it I think it's different. In the birthday problem, everyone chooses a birthday from the same 365 days. They all have the same sample space.

In this shirt problem, let A=all the shirts that exist, B=the shirts person 1 owns, and C=the shirts person 2 owns. B and C will be subsets of A, but they may or may not be disjoint from each other. So when person 1 and 2 get up in the morning, they are likely sampling from different sample spaces.

Does what I say make sense? So how would you find the probability at least two people show up with the same shirt?

Physics news on Phys.org
Guy Incognito said:
Does what I say make sense? So how would you find the probability at least two people show up with the same shirt?

Sure it makes sense. Usually you don't have nearly enough information to analyze it like that, though -- unless you know what shirts everyone owns. Unless you do I'd treat it like a variant on the birthday problem just as you said.

I was surprised in the washer repair business, how a certain part like a switch would hardly ever go bad; but sometimes when it did, we would get two or three such cases at the same time. Must have had something to do with the weather?

What is the probability that two people will wear the same shirt?

The exact probability depends on the specific group of people being considered and the number of available shirts. In general, the more people in the group and the fewer shirts available, the higher the probability that two people will wear the same shirt.

Does the color of the shirt affect the probability?

Yes, the color of the shirt can affect the probability. If there are multiple shirts of the same style but in different colors, the probability of two people wearing the same shirt decreases. However, if there is only one shirt of a particular color, the probability of two people wearing that shirt increases.

How does the probability change if we consider the same group of people over multiple days?

If the group of people remains the same and the number of available shirts remains the same, the probability of two people wearing the same shirt will decrease over multiple days. This is because as more shirts are worn, the chances of two people wearing the same shirt decreases.

What if we add more people to the group?

Adding more people to the group will increase the probability of two people wearing the same shirt. This is because with more people, there are more potential combinations of shirts that can be worn, increasing the chances of two people wearing the same shirt.

Can we accurately predict the probability of two people wearing the same shirt?

No, the probability of two people wearing the same shirt is a random event and cannot be accurately predicted. It depends on various factors such as the size of the group, the number of available shirts, and the individual choices of the people within the group.