1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prob/Stats Probability with measure theory

1. Sep 20, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I am looking for a book for studying probability theory using measure theory. This is the first course I am taking of probability. Notions and theorems from measure theory are part of this course.
    As it turns out, this is a catastrophic disaster, and the textbook for this course is also not helping a lot(and doesn't even use measure theory).
    Therefore I need a recommendation on a book that develops the theory of probability using measure theory, and if it is possible, suitable for self study.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2016 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nice question. I think the book "A First Look at Rigorous Probability Theory" by J.S. Rosenthal may be suitable for this purpose. It does not contain enough material to serve as a long-time reference, but it does a very good job introducing the subject.

4. Sep 23, 2016 #3
    Thank you for the answer. But unfortunately it seems that the book assumes some knowledge in probability.

5. Sep 23, 2016 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Most of the times people first take a non-measure-theory based course on probability. Then for a second course everything is placed in the proper measure-theoretic context. So, I conjecture that it will be hard to find a "first course in probability" based on measure theory.

With that being said, I believe that Rosenthal's book can be read by someone who has no prior exposure to probability. It may be more important that you have an understanding of introductory analysis and some experience with proof writing. Another title you could consider is Resnick's "A Probability Path".

6. Sep 23, 2016 #5
    This course is called "Basic..", and suppose to be the first course in probability that we should take(math major).

I will give Rosenthal's book another chance, and also look at the other book. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted