Calculating Time to Catch Up Using Acceleration and Velocity Graphs

In summary: You will have to solve a quadratic equation for t, which will give you two solutions. However, since one of the solutions will be negative, you can discard it. So in summary, using the equation V*T=1/2*A*T^2, you can solve for t by setting the distance to be equal and discarding the negative solution.
fannyzhou
ok, the question is like this, you are in a car stopped at a red light. the light goes green adn a car passes you by going 11.om/s E. if you accelerate at 4.0m/s^2 to a maximum speed of 15m/s. How long will it take for you to catch up.
so i know the distance between them is the same.
i tried to use V*T=1/2*A*T^2 but since the t is squared i don' know what to do with it. can anyone help ?thx

Physics news on Phys.org
help please ... :frown: :frown: :frown:

fannyzhou said:
ok, the question is like this, you are in a car stopped at a red light. the light goes green adn a car passes you by going 11.om/s E. if you accelerate at 4.0m/s^2 to a maximum speed of 15m/s. How long will it take for you to catch up.
so i know the distance between them is the same.
i tried to use V*T=1/2*A*T^2 but since the t is squared i don' know what to do with it. can anyone help ?thx

Ask yourself this: How long will it take for the stopped car to accelerate to 15 m/s, and how far apart are the cars at that point?

So.. As you said, since distance is the same, well, you can simply draw out a velocity time graph of both graphs on both diagrams and try working them out right? Its always wiser spending some time drawing the graphs.. Basically, after drawing the graph and working out the equations, you should not be getting a t^2 anymore.

Last edited:

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What causes acceleration?

Acceleration is caused by a force acting on an object. This force can be due to gravity, friction, or any other external force.

4. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how quickly the object's velocity is changing.

5. How does acceleration affect motion?

Acceleration affects motion by changing the speed or direction of an object. If there is no acceleration, an object will continue to move at a constant velocity. However, if there is acceleration, the object's velocity will change over time, causing it to speed up, slow down, or change direction.