Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem about changing frequency

1. Dec 19, 2011 #1
    For some reason,I need to have a 10Mhz sine wave voltage output(I only need to deal with around 3-6V),but the signal generator I can use can only provide maximum 1MHz sine wave
    I would like to ask if there are any component that is/are suitable
    If possible,budget is a concern too
    thanks

Actually I tried to search on the internet,but the results are just something like Mhz to Ghz used in processor or something

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2011 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

is this a one-off hobby project?

how accurate and stable do you need frequency?

check around on Ebay and the electronic surplus sites for an old HP 10544A time base.

4. Dec 19, 2011 #3
    It is used for resonance charger
    As long as the frequency is high enough for that,maybe I don't need the frequency to be too accurate and stable(to be honest,even the frequency changer is good, the instruments I have are not good enough to match that LOL)
    Thanks for the advice

5. Dec 19, 2011 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

there are inexpensive crystal controlled integrated circuits for computers and 10megahertz is not at all uncommon. but you'll have to filter it to get a sinewave.

i used to frequent a hobby site called discover circuits, their forums are a great source of experimenter help. only resonance chargers i am used to are ferroresonant 60 hz transformer based...

6. Dec 19, 2011 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

You may be able to find a signal generator IC (like the ones that are used to make signal generator lab instruments) that will reach 10MHz on its sine output. 1MHz is more common, but there should be some that can make it up to 10MHz.

I do have to point out, though, that you need to be careful about launching energy at 10MHz -- that can cause harmful RF interference with other communication equipment and bands. It would take a pretty big antenna (or a many-turn coil....) to launch the EM wave at 10MHz though. What is your "resonant charger" like physically? Do you have any experience dealing with RF equipment and RF Interference (RFI)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook