Problem concernng Newton's Law of Gravitation

In summary, the task is to find the gravitational force exerted on one particle by the other three particles in a regular tetrahedron with side length a, where each particle has mass m. Using the equation F=m^2*G/a^2, the force exerted by each particle on the other three can be calculated. However, the total force is not simply the sum of these three forces due to the directionality of the forces. The correct calculation for the total force is sqrt(6)*m^2*G/a^2.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Four particles, each of mass m , are situated at the vertices of a regular tetrahedron of the side a. Find the gravitational force exerted on anyone of the particles by the other three.

Homework Equations

F=m*M*G/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the mass of the four particles are equivalent, F=m^2*G/a^2. Each of the particles lie at each of the four vertices of the base of the tetrahedron. I assumed the base of the tetrahedron is a square since the polyhedron is a regular tetrahedron. particle one exerts a force on each of the remaining three particles that lie on the vertices. So I will write out 3 forces

F(1,2)=m^2*G/a^2

F(1,3)=m^2*G/2a^2

F(1,4)= m^2*G/a^2

F(total)=F(1,2)+F(1,3)+F(1,4)= 5/2*(m^2/a^2).

The book says that the total Force is sqrt(6)*m^2*G/a^2. What did I do wrong? I think the calculation for my net Force was slightly closed to the books answer, I happened to be off by .05 decimal places.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is my problem understandable to anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahedron

A tetrahedron (plural: tetrahedra) is a polyhedron composed of four triangular faces, three of which meet at each vertex.

granpa said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahedron

A tetrahedron (plural: tetrahedra) is a polyhedron composed of four triangular faces, three of which meet at each vertex.

What is wrong with my Force equations?

Benzoate said:
What is wrong with my Force equations?

The total force is the sum of three vectors. These three vectors are the same length but don't point in the same direction.

I assumed the base of the tetrahedron is a square

the base is a triangle

1. What is Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Newton's Law of Gravitation states that every object in the universe exerts a force of attraction on every other object. This force is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How did Newton discover the Law of Gravitation?

Isaac Newton discovered the Law of Gravitation in 1687 through his famous thought experiment involving an apple falling from a tree. He realized that the same force that caused the apple to fall also kept the Moon in orbit around the Earth.

3. What is the formula for Newton's Law of Gravitation?

The formula for Newton's Law of Gravitation is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force of attraction, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. What are the limitations of Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Newton's Law of Gravitation is only accurate for objects with masses that are significantly smaller than the Earth's mass and when the distance between them is large compared to their sizes. It also does not take into account the effects of relativity and quantum mechanics.

5. How does Newton's Law of Gravitation relate to Einstein's Theory of General Relativity?

Einstein's Theory of General Relativity expanded upon Newton's Law of Gravitation by taking into account the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. This theory has been proven to be more accurate, especially in extreme gravitational situations such as black holes.