1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem concernng Newton's Law of Gravitation

1. Aug 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Four particles, each of mass m , are situated at the vertices of a regular tetrahedron of the side a. Find the gravitational force exerted on any one of the particles by the other three.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the mass of the four particles are equivalent, F=m^2*G/a^2. Each of the particles lie at each of the four vertices of the base of the tetrahedron. I assumed the base of the tetrahedron is a square since the polyhedron is a regular tetrahedron. particle one exerts a force on each of the remaining three particles that lie on the vertices. So I will write out 3 forces

F(1,4)= m^2*G/a^2

F(total)=F(1,2)+F(1,3)+F(1,4)= 5/2*(m^2/a^2).

The book says that the total Force is sqrt(6)*m^2*G/a^2. What did I do wrong? I think the calculation for my net Force was slightly closed to the books answer, I happened to be off by .05 decimal places.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2
    Is my problem understandable to anyone?
  4. Aug 31, 2008 #3

A tetrahedron (plural: tetrahedra) is a polyhedron composed of four triangular faces, three of which meet at each vertex.
  5. Aug 31, 2008 #4
    What is wrong with my Force equations?
  6. Aug 31, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The total force is the sum of three vectors. These three vectors are the same length but don't point in the same direction.
  7. Aug 31, 2008 #6
    I assumed the base of the tetrahedron is a square

the base is a triangle
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?