1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem finding angular velocity

1. Jan 17, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Problem finding angular velocity... !!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The 9.65 lb uniform disk is pin supported at its center and is acted upon by a constant force of P = 1.45 lb as shown. The system starts from rest. Radius of disk is .470 ft

The force P is going straight down from the disk and would spin the disk in a clockwise direction. The force P is at the end of a string.. making the disk spin.

Determine the angular velocity after 4.45 seconds. (rad/s, +CCW)

2. Relevant equations

I know this problem involves a constant accel equation. I believe the right one is angvelfinal = angvelinitial + a*t

3. The attempt at a solution

The issue i have is that i can't figure out how to relate the force acting on the disk to turn it into acceleration. I have tried setting "Force*Radius=(.5*Mass*radius^2)angaccel" and solving for angaccel and then multiplying it by the time in order to get my angvel but i am having no luck. Any help i appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2008 #2
    any other info i need to give guys?? i have been on this question for two days lol. I can finish it i just can't figure out how i get from a force in lbs pulling down on a string turning a disc... to the acceleration of the disc. Ive looked through formulas and have had no luck anywhere.

4. Jan 17, 2008 #3
    thanks guys, i figured it out. I was doing it right but somehow my numbers were off somewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?