1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem in graph of Quadratic Equation

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    Hey, could someone please help me with this problem? I just want to know why the graph of Quadratic Equation are symmetric and why does the maxima and minima ( = -b/2a ) the mean of the two roots? One more thing I didn't get was what does the a represent in ax2+bx+c ( ax square+bx+c)? I know for b and c, but couldn't figure out for a? Is it for the slope or whether the graph will be > 0 or < 0?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you write [itex]ax^2+bx+c[/itex] in the more 'insightful' form:

You can see that it is equal to the graph of [itex]ax^2[/itex], but shifted vertically by [itex]c-\frac{b^2}{4a}[/itex] and horizontally by [itex]\frac{b}{2a}[/itex]. The a can be seen as a scaling factor in the y-direction. If it's positive, you have a 'dale-parabola', if it's negative it's a 'hill-parabola'.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?