Problem in graph of Quadratic Equation

In summary, the graph of a quadratic equation is symmetric because it is equal to the graph of a parabola shifted horizontally and vertically. The maximum and minimum points on the graph are the mean of the two roots, and the coefficient a represents a scaling factor in the y-direction that determines the shape of the parabola.
Neha Sanghvi
Hey, could someone please help me with this problem? I just want to know why the graph of Quadratic Equation are symmetric and why does the maxima and minima ( = -b/2a ) the mean of the two roots? One more thing I didn't get was what does the a represent in ax2+bx+c ( ax square+bx+c)? I know for b and c, but couldn't figure out for a? Is it for the slope or whether the graph will be > 0 or < 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you write [itex]ax^2+bx+c[/itex] in the more 'insightful' form:

[tex]a\left(x+\frac{b}{2a}\right)^2+\left(c-\frac{b^2}{4a}\right)[/tex]

You can see that it is equal to the graph of [itex]ax^2[/itex], but shifted vertically by [itex]c-\frac{b^2}{4a}[/itex] and horizontally by [itex]\frac{b}{2a}[/itex]. The a can be seen as a scaling factor in the y-direction. If it's positive, you have a 'dale-parabola', if it's negative it's a 'hill-parabola'.

Sure, I would be happy to help you with your questions about the graph of a quadratic equation. First, let's discuss why the graph of a quadratic equation is symmetric. This is because a quadratic equation has an axis of symmetry, which is a vertical line that divides the graph into two equal halves. This axis of symmetry is located at x = -b/2a, which is the x-coordinate of the vertex (or maxima/minima) of the graph. Since the quadratic equation is symmetric about this line, the maxima and minima are equidistant from the axis of symmetry, making them the mean of the two roots.

Next, let's talk about the coefficient a in the general form of a quadratic equation, ax^2+bx+c. The value of a determines the shape and direction of the graph. If a is positive, the graph will open upward, and if a is negative, the graph will open downward. This is because the coefficient a affects the steepness of the curve. A larger value of a will result in a steeper curve, while a smaller value will result in a flatter curve. Therefore, a does not represent the slope of the graph, but rather the direction and shape of the curve.

I hope this helps to clarify your questions about the graph of a quadratic equation. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. As a scientist, it is important to understand the fundamental concepts and principles behind mathematical equations and graphs, so I am happy to assist you in any way I can.

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning the highest power of the variable is 2. It has the form ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. What is a graph of a quadratic equation?

A graph of a quadratic equation is a visual representation of the equation on a coordinate plane. The x-axis represents the independent variable (usually denoted as x) and the y-axis represents the dependent variable (usually denoted as y). The graph of a quadratic equation is a parabola.

3. How do I know if a problem involves a quadratic equation?

A problem involves a quadratic equation if it can be written in the form ax² + bx + c = 0. It may also involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, or solving for the roots or zeros of a function.

4. What are the common issues in a graph of a quadratic equation?

Common issues in a graph of a quadratic equation include the parabola not intersecting the x-axis (meaning there are no real solutions), the parabola intersecting the x-axis at two points (meaning there are two real solutions), or the parabola intersecting the x-axis at one point (meaning there is one real solution).

5. How do I solve a problem involving a quadratic equation?

To solve a problem involving a quadratic equation, you can use several methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. It is important to also check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation to make sure they are valid.