Problem on finding maximum torque on a simple loop

In summary, the maximum torque that can be obtained with the same total length of wire carrying the same current in this magnetic field is optimized by bending the wire into a circular shape with a magnetic field of magnitude B, current of I, and dimensions W and L.
patlai
The plane of a rectangular loop of wire with a width of W and a height of L is parallel to a magnetic field of magnitude B. The loop carries a current of I .

What is the maximum torque that can be obtained with the same total length of wire carrying the same current in this magnetic field?

*note i feel like I've tried everything and i can't seem to figure this problem out.

Physics news on Phys.org
i know you have to do something with optimizing the area

i got this answer:

B*I*((l+h)/2)^2

but the website system says my answer is off by a multiplicative factor.

I think you would maximize the area by bending the wire into a circular shape.

how did you get that answer patlai?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the point of rotation.

2. How is maximum torque calculated on a simple loop?

To calculate maximum torque on a simple loop, you must determine the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Then, multiply this distance by the force applied to the loop. This will give you the maximum torque.

3. Why is it important to find the maximum torque on a simple loop?

Finding the maximum torque on a simple loop is important because it allows us to determine the most efficient way to apply force to the object. This can help us avoid damaging the object and ensure that the force is being applied in the most effective way possible.

4. What factors affect the maximum torque on a simple loop?

The maximum torque on a simple loop is affected by the magnitude of the force applied and the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the force is applied. The shape and size of the loop may also play a role in determining the maximum torque.

5. How can maximum torque on a simple loop be increased?

To increase the maximum torque on a simple loop, you can either increase the magnitude of the force applied or increase the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the force is applied. However, it is important to note that there may be physical limitations or constraints that prevent these factors from being adjusted.