How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Quarter Disc?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia of a uniform quarter disc of radius R and mass M about an axis through its centre of mass and perpendicular to its plane. The formula I = Icm + Md2 is mentioned, with the distance d representing the distance between the required axis and centre of mass. However, the correct answer is not obtained, leading to a discussion on the center of mass location and the use of calculus to find both the c.o.m. and moment of inertia. The importance of clarity and brevity in problem-solving is also mentioned.
Sumanth
Find moment of inertia of a uniform quarter disc of radius R
and mass M about an axis through its centre of mass and
perpendicular to its plane ...

I tried in the following way:

I considered the relation. I= Icm + Md2
Where d is the distance between required axis and centre of mass...
But i got wrong answer...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sumanth said:
Find moment of inertia of a uniform quarter disc of radius R
and mass M about an axis through its centre of mass and
perpendicular to its plane ...

I tried in the following way:

I considered the relation. I= Icm + Md2
Where d is the distance between required axis and centre of mass...
But i got wrong answer...

There's nothing wrong with your formula. However, it does require the use of the quantity (Icm) you are asked to determine by the original problem.

Do you know the center of mass location for a quarter circle?

In this problem, you must not only determine in location of the c.o.m. (if it is not already known) and also the moment of inertia of a quarter circle. I think it will probably take a little calculus to do both.

Likes 1 person
K thanks for ur suggestion i will try to solve the problem

SteamKing said:
There's nothing wrong with your formula. However, it does require the use of the quantity (Icm) you are asked to determine by the original problem.
No, in this case i think the formula can be applied in the opposite direction usefully. It is relatively easy to find the M of I about the circle's centre (i.e. the corner of the quarter circle). Once the centre of mass has been determined, the M of I about that can be deduced from the formula.

It's not clear why the OP got the wrong answer as he posted no calculations. We don't know if he was using I about the origin, the c.o.m., or what.

In this case, Brevity is the enemy of Clarity, those two Irishmen who are eternal rivals.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear why the OP got the wrong answer as he posted no calculations. We don't know if he was using I about the origin, the c.o.m., or what.

In this case, Brevity is the enemy of Clarity, those two Irishmen who are eternal rivals.

Sure, but I read your post as saying that the Icm had to be found first before applying the formula. I'm just pointing out that in the present case it will be the other way about: the M of I can be found easily about a certain point that is not the centre of mass, then the formula can be used to find the Icm.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Quarter Disc?

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of an object is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion, and is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion. They are calculated using different formulas and have different units of measurement.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with a larger mass, greater distance from the axis of rotation, or a more spread-out distribution of mass will have a larger moment of inertia.

4. How is moment of inertia used in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as determining the stability of structures, designing mechanical systems, and analyzing the motion of rotating objects like wheels or gyroscopes.

5. How can I calculate the moment of inertia of a complex object?

The moment of inertia of a complex object can be calculated by breaking it down into smaller, simpler shapes and using the appropriate formulas for each shape. These individual moments of inertia can then be added together to find the total moment of inertia of the object.