Problem related to work Confused between two answers.

In summary, the total work required to lift a 5 kg bag from the floor to the countertop, 1 meter above the floor, is 50 Joules. This can be calculated by adding the work done by the weight (-50 Joules) and the work done by the force (100 Joules). The change in potential energy is also 50 Joules. The total work is equal to the change in kinetic energy, which in this case is zero, since the bag starts and ends at rest.
mike-d

Homework Statement

How much work must you perform to lift a 5 kg bag from the floor to the countertop, 1 meter above the floor?

2. The attempt at a solution

A. You could say that any force greater than the weight of the bag would lift it up. Thus, the weight is 50 N and the force should at least 50 N and above.

since W= F * d * cos(theta)
W = 50 * 1 * cos0 = 50 Joules

B. My classmates insist that this is the correct way. The net work is equal to the change in potential energy, and the total work includes: Work done by weight, and work done by the force...

Work of weight = 50 * 1 * cos180 = -50 Joules
deltaPotential energy = PE2 -PE1 = 50 - 0 = 50 Joules

W(total) = W(weight) + W(force) = deltaPE
-50 + W(force) = 50 joules ==> W(force) = 100 Joules

Can anyone tell me which answer is the correct one? It seems to me that the second answer would be correct if you pulled the bag up suddenly and let it go and it would then stop mid-air at 1 meter. Can anyone verify this? Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. If you are looking for total or net work, that's the change in KE (which is zero). But if you are looking for work done by you, which the question asks, that's the change in PE plus the change in KE which is 50 +0 = +50 J. If you are looking for the work done by the weight, that is the negative of the potential energy change, or -50 J.

PhanthomJay said:
Your answer is correct. If you are looking for total or net work, that's the change in KE (which is zero). But if you are looking for work done by you, which the question asks, that's the change in PE plus the change in KE which is 50 +0 = +50 J. If you are looking for the work done by the weight, that is the negative of the potential energy change, or -50 J.

Thanks for the reply :D

However I am confused as to why total work equals to the change in KE...

I would really appreciate it if you could explain it.

This involves a lot of formula manipulation...
We know that W = Fd and F = ma.
∴ W = mad

Solving for a from v22 = v12 + 2ad gives us
a = (v22 - v12)/2d

plugging that back into W = mad gives us
W = m[(v22 - v12)/2d]d
= [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m(v22 - v12)
= [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv22 - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv12

Notice anything familiar? [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv2 is our generic equation for KE.
[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv22 - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv12 gives us ΔKE.

∴ W = ΔKE

I would suggest that both answers have some validity, but it ultimately depends on the specific circumstances and assumptions being made. In the first answer, the calculation is based on the minimum amount of work required to lift the bag to the desired height, assuming a constant force is applied. This is a simplified approach that does not take into account factors such as friction or the speed at which the bag is lifted.

In the second answer, the calculation takes into account the work done by both the weight and the applied force, as well as the change in potential energy. This approach is more comprehensive and may be more accurate in some cases, but it also relies on certain assumptions and simplifications.

In order to determine the most accurate answer, it would be helpful to have more information about the specific scenario, such as the presence of friction and the speed at which the bag is lifted. It may also be useful to consider other factors, such as the energy required to overcome inertia when initially lifting the bag.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider all factors and assumptions when solving a problem related to work, and to choose an approach that best fits the specific scenario and desired level of accuracy.

What is the best way to approach a problem when you are confused between two answers?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as it depends on the specific problem and the context in which it is being solved. However, some general strategies that can be helpful include: taking a step back and reviewing all the information, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, consulting with a colleague or mentor, and considering the potential consequences of each answer.

How can I determine which answer is the most accurate or correct?

It's important to gather as much information as possible and evaluate it critically. Consider the source of the information, the evidence or data supporting each answer, and any biases that may be present. Additionally, seeking a second opinion or conducting further research can also help in determining the accuracy or correctness of the answers.

What should I do if both answers seem equally valid?

In this situation, it may be helpful to gather more information or seek the advice of a colleague or mentor. It's also important to consider the potential consequences of each answer and weigh them against each other. Ultimately, you may need to make a judgement call based on the available information and your own expertise.

How can I prevent getting confused between two answers in the future?

One way to prevent confusion is to thoroughly understand the problem and gather all the necessary information before attempting to find a solution. Additionally, taking breaks and approaching the problem from different angles can also help in gaining a clearer understanding and avoiding confusion. It can also be helpful to discuss the problem with others and listen to their perspectives.

What can I do if I am under pressure to make a decision between two answers?

In high-pressure situations, it can be helpful to take a step back and assess the situation from a more objective standpoint. Consider the potential consequences of each answer and prioritize them based on their importance. It may also be helpful to consult with a mentor or colleague for their insight and advice.