Can I Align a Moving Object in an AVI File?

• Thread starter big man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to align a moving object in an avi file and requests suggestions for a program that can do this. The possibility of converting the file to gif and using image stabilizing software is mentioned, but is said to have limited capabilities. The suggestion to use a CGI service is also brought up. Eventually, a program called Registax is recommended as it successfully aligns the object in the avi file. Additional suggestions, including DeShaker with VirtualDub, are also mentioned.
big man
I have a terrible avi file where the object is moving across the screen and I need to align this so that the object is still. Is there a program that can do this sort of thing?

I was thinking that I'd have to convert it to gif so that I can align it since this is the only way I know you can do it.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
So far as I know the answer is generally no.
The Studio 9/10 video editing softwre has some claimed image stabilizing capability, but it doesn't work on objects. And has very limited range at best.

But if anybody knows of anything I'd be interested as well.

If money is no object you could try finding a place that does CGI.
And AFAIK they mostly do it as an approximation of the method you mention.

Well I found a program that works really well for the avi file I have.

It's an image of Jupiter and the tracking was ****. But Registax aligns it so that it is absolutely still and it keeps the file as an avi.

Registax is freeware as well.

Thanks, for the info
I'll have to give it a try.

I'm familiar with VirtualDub.
I'll have to give the plugin a try.

Thanks.

1. What causes an avi file to have problems?

There can be several causes for an avi file to have problems, including corrupted data, incorrect codecs, or hardware/software issues.

2. How can I fix a problem with an avi file?

The solution to fixing a problem with an avi file depends on the specific issue. Some common solutions include using a media player with built-in codecs, converting the file to a different format, or repairing the file using a specialized software.

3. Can I prevent problems with avi files?

Yes, there are some steps you can take to prevent problems with avi files. These include regularly updating your media player and codecs, using reputable software to convert or edit files, and properly shutting down your computer to avoid hardware issues.

4. Why is my avi file not playing sound?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as missing or outdated audio codecs, incorrect audio settings in the media player, or a damaged audio track within the avi file. Try updating your audio codecs or adjusting the settings in your media player to see if that resolves the issue.

5. Is it possible to recover a corrupted avi file?

In some cases, it may be possible to recover a corrupted avi file using specialized software. However, this is not always successful and it is recommended to regularly back up important files to avoid data loss.