1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with find angle btw vectors (magnetism problem)

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The x, y, and z components of a magnetic field are Bx = 0.10 T, By = 0.13 T, and Bz = 0.17 T. A 25 cm wire is oriented along the z axis and carries a current of 4.5 A. What is the magnitude of the magnetic force that acts on this wire?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ILB (sin theta)
    a^2 + b^2 = c^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I have
    F= (4.5A)(0.25 m)(B?????) (sin theta)

Ok, so I know what I and L are--> 4.5 A and 0.25 m. I also know that B is going to be the vector sum of components x and y-->
    0.10^2 + 0.13^2 = B^2, which gives me B= 0.16. I did not include z because the current is in the z direction (parallel direction = 0, since sin 0 = 0).

My question is: How do I find theta? Theta is the angle between the current and the magnetic field. I know the magnetic field = 0.16 and the direction of the current is in the z-axis, which is 0.17. I was thinking of doing the tan inverse of 0.16/0.17, but I don't think that answer is right.

Any ideas on how to find theta?

Thanks a lot for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2
    theta is invariably 90 deg.
    Theta is the angle between B & l. since u have taken Bx & By their resultant is in x-y plane & l is on z axis.
    I hope i am clear.

4. Mar 28, 2007 #3
    Yes! Thank Sourabh N for the help-- I've spent over an hour looking at it and couldn't get it!

I finally got the right answer with your advice.

Thanks A LOT!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?