Problem with Integrals - Finding f'(pi/2) in Calc 1

• Thread starter intervade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation involves finding the derivative of an integral with a given upper and lower limit and a specific function. The first step is to denote the integral as F(g(x)) - F(0) and then differentiate it. Remember to only evaluate g(x) at a single point to make it simpler.
intervade

Homework Statement

Ok, I am given a integral f(x) with a lower limit 0 zero and an upper limit of g(x). Its 1/(1+t^3)^(1/2)dt

g(x) is the integral from 0 to cosx of (1+sin(t^2))dt. I need to find f '(pi/2). Any suggestions on where to start? This is calc one. I can find g '(x) but I don't think that's what is require. I am not sure however on how to actually integrate it.

f '(x) would be 1/(1+(g(x))^3) but I Dont know what to do with g(x).

Homework Equations

find f'(pi/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

intervade said:

Not quite right. Denote the integral as F(g(x)) - F(0). Now, differentiating this, you get F'(g(x)) * g'(x). When you get to dealing with g(x), remember that you only need to evaluate it in a single point; this should make things a bit easier.

FAQ: Problem with Integrals - Finding f'(pi/2) in Calc 1

1. What is an integral and why is it important?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields by representing complex functions as simpler equations that can be easily calculated.

2. What are the common difficulties in solving integrals?

One of the main difficulties in solving integrals is identifying which integration technique to use. There are various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions, and choosing the right one can be challenging. Additionally, integrals involving trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions can also be challenging to solve.

3. Can integrals have multiple solutions?

Yes, integrals can have multiple solutions. This is because the indefinite integral, which is the antiderivative of a function, is not unique. The constant of integration can result in different solutions for the same integral, as it represents the family of curves that satisfy the original function.

4. How do you check the correctness of your integral solution?

The best way to check the correctness of an integral solution is to differentiate the result and see if it matches the original function. If the derivative matches, then the solution is correct. Additionally, you can also use numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to estimate the value of the integral and compare it to your solution.

5. Are there any real-life applications of integrals?

Yes, integrals have numerous real-life applications. They are used in physics to calculate the work done by a force, in economics to find the total revenue or cost of a business, in engineering to calculate the moment of inertia of an object, and in statistics to find the area under a probability distribution curve. They are also used in many other fields, including finance, biology, and chemistry.