Solving Problem with Vectors - Velocity & Accel.

• Thread starter ncr7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the velocity of a particle moving in the xy plane is given by v= (5.6t-4.5t^2)+8.2, with v in meters per second and t (>0) in seconds. The acceleration when t=3.3 seconds is unknown. The acceleration is zero when t=0.977 seconds or t=1.244 seconds. The speed is equal to 10 m/s when t=0.909 seconds or t=1.312 seconds.
ncr7
The velocity of a particle moving in the xy plane is given by = (5.6 t - 4.5 t2) + 8.2, with in meters per second and t (> 0) in seconds. (a) What is the acceleration when t = 3.3 s? (b) When (if ever) is the acceleration zero? (c) When (if ever) does the speed equal 10 m/s?

I got the first 2 but when I went to find c I can't seem to get it.

I took

10m/s = sqrt((5.6t - 4.5t^2)^2 + (8.2)^2
10^2 = (sqrt((5.6t - 4.5t^2)^2 + (8.2)^2)^2
100 = (5.6t - 4.5t^2)^2 + 67.24)
32.76 = (5.6t - 4.5t^2)^2
sqrt(32.76) = sqrt((5.6t - 4.5t^2)^2)
5.72 = 5.6t - 4.5t^2
0 = -4.5t^2 + 5.6t - 5.72
then I used quadratic to find out the two values...
but I get a negative in the sqrt on the quadratic and I can't do that... any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You implicitly assumed [itex]t<=56/45[/itex]
when you wrote
[tex]\sqrt{(5.6t-4.5t^2)^2} = 5.6t-4.5t^2[/tex]
What happens if [itex]t>56/45[/itex]?

so how do you figure it out? I'm not sure how you would go about doing it.

Could you take

5.6t-4.5t^2
t(5.6-4.5t)
t = 5.6/4.5 ?

if so what happens with the 5.72 on the other side of the equation?

My hint wasn't good enough.

It is not valid to write [itex]\sqrt{(5.6t-4.5t^2)^2} = 5.6t-4.5t^2[/itex] when [itex]t>56/45[/itex] because [itex]5.6t-4.5t^2[/itex] is negative.

For example, try [itex]t=2[/itex]. The velocity vector at [itex]t=2[/itex] is [itex][ 5.6*2 - 4.5*2^2, 8.2 ] = [ -6.8, 8.2 ] [/itex]. Note that the [itex]x[/itex] component of the velocity is negative. [itex]\sqrt{(-6.8)^2} = 6.8,\text{\ not\ } -6.8[/itex].

Last edited:

FAQ: Solving Problem with Vectors - Velocity & Accel.

1. What are vectors and how are they used in problem solving?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are used in problem solving to represent physical quantities, such as velocity and acceleration, which have both magnitude and direction in real life scenarios. By using vectors, we can accurately describe and analyze the motion of objects in different directions.

2. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity is changing and in what direction.

3. How can we use vectors to solve problems involving velocity and acceleration?

By breaking down the velocity and acceleration vectors into their components in the x and y directions, we can use basic trigonometry and algebra to solve for unknown values. This allows us to accurately determine the speed and direction of an object's motion, as well as the rate at which its motion is changing.

4. Can vectors be used to solve problems involving motion in three dimensions?

Yes, vectors can be used to solve problems involving motion in three dimensions. In addition to the x and y components, we would also need to consider the z component in order to fully describe the motion of an object in three dimensions. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem and basic trigonometry.

5. How are vectors used in real life applications and industries?

Vectors are used in a wide range of industries and applications, such as engineering, physics, aviation, and video game development. They are essential for accurately modeling and predicting the motion of objects, as well as for designing and controlling complex systems and machines. For example, vectors are used to calculate the trajectory of a rocket, the flight path of an airplane, and the movement of characters in a video game.

Back