Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems using radiative heat transfer in Comsol

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone. I am starting using Comsol modeling the temperature field of a buried cable installed into a PVC duct (2D problem). I have already solved the problem considering heat transfer by conduction. To do this, I have used the Electro-Thermal Interaction Application Mode (Perpendicular induction heating: Steady-state) included in the AC/DC Module. However, when I try to implement radiation I have this message:

Error: 6253
    Complex number found in irradiation expression.
    - Expression: J
    - Geometry: 1
    - Boundaries: 5,6,7,8,13,14,17,18
    Failed to evaluate expression.
    - Expression: d(((dVolbnd_htgh*epsilon_htgh*(Gm_htgh+Famb_htgh*sigma_htgh*Tamb_htgh^4-sigma_htgh*T^4)*test(T))-(0))*(dvol),{test@0})

I think the problem is that in this application mode the variable T has become a complex number (I don´t know why, but it´s true. When I click on the T surface plot I get this: Value: 341.171896-6.440595e-6i [K], Expression: T, Position: (-0.013275,-0.006)).

Could this behaviour be a program bug? or Should I have to change anything in my model to make variable T a real number again?
    I hope someone can help me.

Thank you for your suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2
    Dear Curros,

Please reevaluate your material parameters.

Example: if your temperature is relative (as on overtemperature with respect to ambient) then it is possible to be 0.

COMSOL evaluates the properties with the absolute temperature (ambient+relative for the given example), so if your model has 0 in reality should be Tambient+T.
    I hope you get the idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook